Epic Demos Samaritan on Nvidia's Next-Gen Kepler GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
FXAA?! really ?!! wtf

It makes me sad that a much better Post-AA solution is available (SMAA), yet not used by any dev...
I guess anything not made by nvidia gets ignored..

GozerHozer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
High-end PCs are a waste of money.

You know what, it does not matter, they don't make Good PC games.
Look at the new ME3, its a DX9 game.
I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Hydro Video card, where are the games worthy of this $800 card??
So why should I drop $700-$800 on a killer Video card?
Most games are still DX9, almost no DX10 and even less DX11.

AMD, Nvidia, Intel better partner better with game developers if they want my money.

Give me a game looking like the " Samaritan Demo" and Ill pay you a $100+ and even buy 2 new Video card to play it.

My Rig---
-EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Hydro Copper-H2O cooled.
-Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz-H2O cooled
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
-2X WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM in RAID-0.
-Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB DDR3
-Asus VG236H 120Hz LCD monitor with Nvidia 3D Vision Kit.
-Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 PCI sound card.
-1000Watt Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX Certified 5.1 Speakers.
-THERMALTAKE Toughpower 1200W
-THERMALTAKE Aluminum Armor LCS Super Tower, Liquid Cooling System
-Windows 7 64bit

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The video you linked to was uploaded last year so its the original just in 1080p. That being said its cool to know that it only took 1 kepler to run it.

[edit] Also I just noticed this:

FXAA is a shader-based anti-aliasing technique,” however, and as such “doesn't require additional memory so it's much more performance friendly for deferred renderers such as Samaritan,”

So it wont help that much in realtime renders?

alphaalphaalpha

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Also, I wonder if it wouldn't be too much to ask Epic to throw that demo around some download sites so we can try it out ourselves, really see it in action.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Games never look as good as the demo but as long as each gen of new GPUs is at least twice as powerful than the last gen then it is good for gamers. Also as long as the price stays in line with the last gen's Into price. Also its awesome that AMD is releasing competitive GPUs to spur the industry forward.

G

Although I can play BF3 in 3d on ultra with my over clocked 570 probably still going to buy a Kepler because I pity the fool who doesn't have the worlds best gpu

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Games never look as good as the demo but as long as each gen of new GPUs is at least twice as powerful than the last gen then it is good for gamers. Also as long as the price stays in line with the last gen's Into price. Also its awesome that AMD is releasing competitive GPUs to spur the industry forward.[/citation]

Not quite true. Radeon 6000 isn't twice as fast as 5000 and GTX 500 isn't twice as fast as GTX 400. It seems to be mainly new process nodes with a new architecture where we see performance per GPU double.

For example, GTX 295 vs GTX 480, they are very close, but the 480 has one GPU versus the 295's two GPUs. Then there is the Radeon 5870 against the 4870X2. Not quite doubled, but it's fairly close.

4745454b

Titan
So my question is which Kepler did they use? They needed three GTX580s before, but then they state this time this needed only "one next-generation Nvidia Kepler GPU." The GK100 that will be "top dog", the x2 card based on it, or the GK104 thats coming out?

GozerHozer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Whats with all the Spam adds on the forums, what like any of us would go to their website, bunch of losers, I hope that user "Boltontop" get banned and their website is shut down.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
epic can make awesome looking demoes, now if only they would release a decent game that updates on the ancient unreal technology i would definately take a look as would most people reading this im sure. unreal 2012 would be cool!!

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Dude a 570 isn't even Nvidia's best gpu![/citation]

The 570 has the GF-110, so yes, it technically has Nvidia's best GPU. It isn't Nvidia's best card. GPUs and video cards are not the same thing. The 570 and 580 have the same GPU, the 570's simply has a few parts disabled.

f-14

Distinguished
so why did they switch the name from T&L to AA again?
T&L the name just explained it all so much simpler and easier AA the name makes me wonder wth it is for until i see demo's like this.
that video demo needs to be turned into a real game or i am going to be super fpod cuz that is brutally awesome style of game that needs to happen and screw crysis and raise the bar 100 times over!

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I think this is a gimmick. If Kepler has 3x the FXAA performance of a GTX580 then you have exactly that. They make it sound promising with this tech demo but let's see what happens in the real world this year.
I'm hoping for a 70% Performance boost over GTX580 with 25% worst power consumption.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]a shader! amazing technique. carmack get your team to work![/citation]

Made me laugh! He is however busy trying to figure out new ways to make your gpu sharpen the poor blur that is called textures in Rage, wasting tons of gpu cycles on that. Rather than have good quality textures from start and use that wasted gpu time to display the game with excellent quality and smoothness. But no - Lets release it with console "optimized" (crap) textures and let the pc use the extra resources to try and mock normal texture quality.

Amazing how much the console "filth" destroys the PC game quality nowadays!

G

You know I think all of us as consumers are getting ripped off. I think that the game code poisoning from Nvidia and AMD is making it hard to figure out which architecture is the best. They need to make games that detect which card is in place and use that card's code path rather than trying to shove the competitor's code path down the other competitor's video card's throat that it is not designed to run such code. If AMD's or Nvidia's own code path is used and is faster without loss of nice graphics then that architecture is the winner of performance. It is almost like a class action lawsuit needs to be filed because the consumers lose with this code poisoning stupidity. We should know that our money is being well spent on actually hard improvements and not some competitor's code being used to gimp the other to make it "seem" like it under performs. That is just plain wrong and I go as far as to say that is deception and theft of the consumer.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
believe me the future is in shaders. in rage, which is gorgeous, i have a bug here and there with a 460 2gb and quadro 2000 combo but i figured that out. a 560ti 2gb and 9800gtx 512mb, perfect for rage no doors blinking, blurry textures etc. this process will aid poly rendering a ton, similar to mental ray shaders with geometric creation and effects (post style). this new technique can lend itself to realtime rendering which i rely on daily to get my ideas out there. exciting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.