Epic Demos Samaritan on Nvidia's Next-Gen Kepler GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]believe me the future is in shaders. in rage, which is gorgeous, i have a bug here and there with a 460 2gb and quadro 2000 combo but i figured that out. a 560ti 2gb and 9800gtx 512mb, perfect for rage no doors blinking, blurry textures etc. this process will aid poly rendering a ton, similar to mental ray shaders with geometric creation and effects (post style). this new technique can lend itself to realtime rendering which i rely on daily to get my ideas out there. exciting[/citation]

You're not fooling anyone, Carmack. Your new engine sucks. The "megatexturing" turned out to be MegaFail. Just join ID and Bethesda together. ID can make the nuts n bolts, bethesda can make the actual games.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Ditto! I hope keplar comes out soon; I just got a gtx580 classy from evga and I'm hoping to use the step up on a 680.

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So those leaks showing Kepler having 1536 Cuda cores could actually be true then![/citation]
Silicon has been running since September. Cards are already in hands. AMD fans scream it's all lies every single time, and they are wrong, every single time.
Next time, use your head, instead of being an open pop culture sponge.
Of course if you say anything, then the red radeon rage will vote you down for not agreeing with their endless lies, since they've been unhinged for a number of years now, in a dire whirlwind madly defending the always near bankrupt and now asset-less AMD.
The BIG AX already smoked the entire employee structure, so they have one last chance here before receivership, reorganization, and restructering...
The red rage will now be especially vicious so be careful... the reviewers here no better than to cross the amd fans

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Not quite true. Radeon 6000 isn't twice as fast as 5000 and GTX 500 isn't twice as fast as GTX 400. It seems to be mainly new process nodes with a new architecture where we see performance per GPU double.For example, GTX 295 vs GTX 480, they are very close, but the 480 has one GPU versus the 295's two GPUs. Then there is the Radeon 5870 against the 4870X2. Not quite doubled, but it's fairly close.[/citation]

And thus why far and wide, there is massive disappointment in the 7970, since it's a whole new arch and didn't double 6970 performance, didn't even come close. It's a fail for all but hardest core of the red. (granted the mind jelly we see far and wide means there are loads of those save the earth fight for the downtrodden wackadoos who feel it's their personal responsibility to save AMD and promote for them while they scream about paying every last penny for the AMD card they demand be the very best price perf with any twisted calculation as they drive AMD toward bankruptcy - hence the inhernet insanity)

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Amen to that bloodymaze. If all the rumors are true(GTX680 with~40% higher performance than 7970 and 670 with 20% over 7970) and priced at 549.99 and 449.99 that will cause AMD prices to freefall. 7970 $399 7950 $299 7870 $249 7850 $199 7770 $149 7750 $99This would be awesome for all of us...these prices would be fair Anyway, let's hope kepler will deliver...for all we know this could be 690 card runing this demo so we do not know only hope it is 680...[/citation]

That's a nice dream but I for the life of me cannot understand the gigantic failure of the fan mind when AMD is already losing money by the boatful, selling off assets, and cooking books with non GAAP released miniscule "false profits" - and yet I see the hardest core of AMD fans demanding immense price drops on those cards they love so much, 24/7/365 - it's become the ONLY predominant theme in all the quacking - and yes, especially THIS very site with their monthly constant jigger the $ and claim AMD is the cheapo card to buy is so guilty of it as well...
WHEN will any AMD fans support the company they claim to LOVE while hating the - they say - EVIL NVIDIA with it's "shady corporate malpractices" ?
I am almost ASHAMED that (let's say half) my fellow humans are such pathetic personally tightwadded greedy little scourges, so engrossed in their amd is better fanboy theme, that they will consistently year after year demand a BANKRUPTING card price from their big love AMD....
If AMD collapses, I won't be blaming AMD, I will blame their rabid fan base, and their ill advised,disgusting, penny pinching, whining, crybaby, slimy, never ending demand for a discount down to the bare bone and beyond, and then CLAIM, giving all the other AMD failings in drivers and implementations, that the $$$ discount makes up for it all...
I am really, really sick of it.
To top it off, I see NONE of that from the Nvidia fans - who, according to accepted legend, bone up with their hard earned cash and overpay Nvidia who actually earns a profit on selling their video cards.
I suspect, that until AMD is actually buried into bankruptcy and restructuring, the entire red fan rage won't have a clue what they are doing... and of course, will find some way to blame Intel and Nvidia, and if AMD folds completely, will be nothing more than sour pussed and completely excusing themselves, while gloating over whatever purchase they still retain from the dead or needs to be revived AMD, and of course screaming that NVidia will scalp the entire world (only screaming louder and even more often if it were possible).
BE A MAN FOR ONCE I say and pay up for AMD cards. For pete sakes you've sucked them dry like a rabid vampire for many years now - any time soon would be good - before they have to AX THE NEXT 10-20% OF THE SPARSE EMPLOYEE CREW...
--
A serious warning that should be taken to heart.

People do complain about AMD's prices, but they're STILL better than Nvidia's prices. Besides, it's only the Radeon 7000 cards that people complain about and when they are overclocked, they actually have more value than ANY other video cards. Regardless, the Radeon 6000 family is better than the Nvidia cards at every price point.

The 7970 isn't a disappointment if it's overclocked. Overclock it and it will beat two 6970s. Despite that, it DID come close. At stock it roughly equals two Radeon 6870s. Most certainly NOT a fail unless you are too stupid to use the $500+ card you paid for to the max.

Also, anyone who thinks that AMD is going to go out of business is wrong. AMD is still making profits and even if they weren't , Intel would pay them to keep them afloat to stop monopoly laws from hurting Intel. Nvidia might pitch in, but Nvidia really is one of the most shady and horribly acting company that I wouldn't put it past them to not even care.

All you idiot fanboys need to stop being this stupid. No Kepler card is three times as fast as the GTX 580. Yes, GK-104 is supposed to have 1536 shaders. However, it is roughly equal to a GF-110 because each shader is a LOT slower than previous CUDA cores. GK-104 may beat GF-110 slightly, but Nvidia themselves said that it was intended for the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 is supposed to equal a 580 in performance, also strait from Nvidia. You idiots get voted down for being idiots, not for liking Nvidia. The reviewers here know that the AMD cards are better values than the Nvidia ones and THAT is why the Radeons keep getting more recommendations than the Geforce cards. Besides, I've said it before and I'll say it again, AMD is NOT going out of business. If necessary, Intel WILL PAY AMD to continue competing with them. Nvidia might too, but they aren't just competitors with AMD, they really dislike competition or they wouldn't keep on trying to force their closed standards. You know those games where Nvidia beats similarly priced and even more expensive Radeons? Why do you think that happens? Not because the Nvidia cards are better, but because Nvidia PAID the game devs to screw up Radeon performance (Nvidia admits this too) to make them look worse when in reality, they are not. If that isn't shady business practices to you, well then you have some serious morality issues.

EDIT: AMD also isn't near bankruptcy and isn't asset-less. AMD is still worth about $5 billion USD, only half of Nvidia's ~$10 billion USD.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]silicondoc_85[/nom]And thus why far and wide, there is massive disappointment in the 7970, since it's a whole new arch and didn't double 6970 performance, didn't even come close. It's a fail for all but hardest core of the red. (granted the mind jelly we see far and wide means there are loads of those save the earth fight for the downtrodden wackadoos who feel it's their personal responsibility to save AMD and promote for them while they scream about paying every last penny for the AMD card they demand be the very best price perf with any twisted calculation as they drive AMD toward bankruptcy - hence the inhernet insanity)[/citation]

There is little to no merit in what you say.
Architecture changes do not translate into doubled performance.
You keep talking as though nVidia is the second coming of christ and ATI and it's customers are all a bunch of vile cheap prostitutes with bad intentions.

If there's a nut anywhere in here, it's clearly you.

[citation][nom]silicondoc_85[/nom]And thus why far and wide, there is massive disappointment in the 7970, since it's a whole new arch and didn't double 6970 performance, didn't even come close. It's a fail for all but hardest core of the red. (granted the mind jelly we see far and wide means there are loads of those save the earth fight for the downtrodden wackadoos who feel it's their personal responsibility to save AMD and promote for them while they scream about paying every last penny for the AMD card they demand be the very best price perf with any twisted calculation as they drive AMD toward bankruptcy - hence the inhernet insanity)[/citation]

I forgot to mention this in my other reply to this post that explains why your comment is ridiculous, but I'd like to provide a similar argument rather than just a correct one to show some perspective. You reply to my comment about it not being true that each generation must be twice as fast as the previous and I stated both the transition from Radeon 500s to 6000s and from GTX 400s to 500s as proof that each successive generation don't need to double in performance over the last one.

Yet you still claim that the 7970 is a fail for not being double a 6970 (overclock it and it is, but let's pretend that it isn't for your sake). I could argue that the 7950 is better than the GTX 580 because there is a greater difference in performance between the 7950 at stock than there is between the GTX 480 and the 580 at stock two different generations there. Your logic is beyond flawed and evident of Nvidia fanboyism and it is bordering the insane.

In fact, even looking further in into the past, where are these doubling of performance between generations you are expecting? The GTX 480 isn't twice as fast as the GTX 285. The Radeon 5870 isn't twice as fast as the Radeon 4890. Both examples show a less than 100% improvement. I could go even further, but I think that this is enough to prove my point. If you don't believe me then go look at the latest graphics performance chart from here on Tom's and it will show you anything you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.