weakie

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Does anyone know what the "EPU" on the motherboard is for? Im a newbie as you can tell. I built a few pc's back in 2000 but boy have they changed lol. This is an ASUS EVO M5A99X.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
some marketing scheme to make there brand sound good. Asus is famous for making up nice sounding slogans that actually mean nothing in long run.
If you install all the crap that came with your motherboard disk, you more likely crash your system lol.

Gigabytes was no better and even caused music to skip when activating it's power savings(and did not save me any power).

With most boards now being able to control power phases on a hardware level(so at a light load, some phases can be switched off to save power. At full load all phases can work together to deliver cleaner power), you do not even need the software to get most of the benefits. Sometimes you need the software for onboard LEDS's to display what is happening.

In the early days Gigabyte and Asus had fights over using software alone to do this. Those days are gone.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I mention Asus because im using this motherboard right now, but ya all the companies make cool sounding slogans and programs, but once you test them, they barely half work, and mostly wore made up to decorate MB box

Here's a comparison of Asus and Gigabyte Power efficiency features:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index12.html

Idle
Asus WS Revolution Stock - 91 watts
Gigabyte P67A-UD-7 @ stock - 119 watts

Asus WS Revolution @ 4.7 GHz - 105 watts
Gigabyte P67A-UD-7 @ 4.7 Ghz - 154 watts

Load
Asus WS Revolution Stock - 234 watts
Gigabyte P67A-UD-7 @ stock - 257 watts

Asus WS Revolution @ 4.7 GHz - 240 watts
Gigabyte P67A-UD-7 @ 4.7 Ghz - 263watts

I would like to add that the Gigabyte board and Asus boards are very hard to compare(no disrespect here).

While the gigabyte takes more power it also has 10 USB 3.0 ports(6 on back and 4 more via a header on the board) vs 2 as well as 2 e-sata(so another controller) ports and 1 extra firewire port(just a different controller). Intel lan chips also tend to be more power efficient, so i would almost call this a draw.

I still stick to the fact that most modern boards are very efficient.

I have similar results swapping from a P5W DH board to a P35 DS3R board. the gigabyte board had many less bells and whistles, but did use a fair bit less power.