Error 17 - WHEA Loggers flooding by thousands for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2018
Event 17, WHEA Loggers (PCI Express Root Port) had been flooding my event viewer for hours. In just 10 seconds, over 16,000 of the warnings came. It went on for an hour or two before finally stop, and after shutting down the laptop to end the day, the next day it came out again. So far, these are what I have been able to figure out on when the errors would start to occur.

1. When an update for Windows 10 is available.

I do not have automatic update for windows. Most of the time whenever the errors started to happen, which sometimes followed with a BSOD (Unhandled Exception), I would open the Window Update and check for any update available. There will be none, but after I open Troubleshoot for Window 10, it would provide some kind of fix, most of the time quoting corrupt WU database, and then prompted me to request for update again, and sure enough after I check the update, there were indeed new updates coming.

2. Watching or playing anything video-related.

Whenever I played a video game, or watch YouTube, there would be this latency problem, which I verified with LatencyMon, referring to drivers such as ntoskrnl and Wdf.sys which I knew were major issues Window 10 hasn't been able to fix, based on so many forum threads out there. It so happened that I check on Event Viewer as well when this happened, and sure enough Error 17 were flooding as well.

3. Doing nothing.

Sometimes it happened just because I was lingering without doing anything, not opening any windows whatsoever.

I have tried to do my own research on how to fix the issue. I have updated all of my Intel drivers (based on drivers identified by Driver Easy (free version)), updated my BIOS from HP website, updated all my graphic drivers (Intel and Nvidia), used High Definition Audio Device in place of Realtek High Definition Audio (for almost a year, this had fixed the problem until recently, and I did this because there seemed to be a conflicting driver issue between Realtek drivers and Windows) and creating new User Account, which seemed to fix the issue for a few days.

Here is my laptop specification:

System Model: HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook (x64)
BIOS: Insyde F.88 (27th June 2018)
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Education 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Graphic 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
Graphic 2: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Any help would be highly appreciated. I still consider myself as not computer savvy, but if given proper instruction, I think I still should be able to follow. English is also not my native tongue, so excuse all the language mistakes.

all you can do is apply updates from the motherboard vendors website firmware updates, driver updates. you should not use 3rd party driver update programs since you might need a custom driver.

my wife got a dell laptop and it would generate these errors from the first day she got the machine. We should have got a machine exchange but waited too long (over 30 days) and the store would not do a exchange. The machine was sent for repair and came back with the same problem. The only detected problem we see with the laptop is the touch pad would stop working. rebooting seems to correct the problem. We just reboot the machine more often and the machine still works. I think it is a year and a half old now. It would have been better to have swapped out the machine than trying to find the problem. We got stuck with it.

in my case these were warnings that single bit errors were detected and corrected on the pci bus.
I looked at identical machines in the store that did not have the events in the log. I think we got about 300 per minute.
and sometimes a bugcheck.
--------------------
the waring looked something like this:

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x9D14
Class Code: 0x30400

Oct 26, 2018

Sorry about the double post. It is really my first time using this website and I didn't know that the 'Update' button was a straight up update without any confirmation. By saying 'motherboard vendors website', since I'm using a HP laptop, do you meant for me to check on the HP website for driver updates? I used their drivers with no issues for a couple few months, until a new Windows Update came, and then I read about 'you should just let Windows update your drivers instead'. After that, whenever a new Windows Update came, it would either fix the stuttering/WHEA logger issues, and then by the next update it's going to trigger it again. Always like that. I contacted Microsoft support a few times, did a few remote assistance as well, and all they did was checking through registries without doing anything. After that, they just ask me am I still experiencing the errors. I told them that the issue come and go, and when they asked me whether I still experience it or not at that current time, I told them no, and they said because they fixed it already, and then we ended the session, but after the next reboot, it came again, and Microsoft support aren't really the most responsible type of people out there anyway. Asked in forum, they only provide the first post answer with their 'Checkdsm', 'sfc/scannow', 'check for window update', 'clean install of W10', and after we did everything, but the issue persisted, and when we came back to the same forum, they disappeared, leaving only other fellow users to solve it. Sorry about my ranting, it happened to me for almost 2 years, and I'm getting really upset about it.

In my first sentence on this post, I already mentioned "Event 17, WHEA Loggers (PCI Express Root Port) has been flooding my event viewer for hours". So, yes, I believe PCI Root Port is involved.

Oct 26, 2018

I've verified that all devices listed in the device manager are all working properly (no '!' in any driver). There are no issues reported with the drivers. One thing was bothering me was that on 29th October, I got a BSOD 'DPC_Watchdog_Violation', which I then proceeded to downgrade my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers from the Intel version of their updated driver to the 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller'. After that, I downloaded and installed all the Intel drivers posted in HP website. Up until today, 2nd November, I did not receive a single of the Event 17, WHEA Logger error anymore. No stuttering, no performance deteriorating event at all. I wouldn't say this is the solution, because a year ago, I did the same thing, and when a new W10 update came up, it ruined everything once again. I just have to wait and confirm this when the next W10 update is available again. Thank you everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.