[SOLVED] Error During Installation

Aug 14, 2018
I have my laptop Sony Vaio VPCYB15AG with 2+2GB RAM. I recently bought a new HDD and also new 2 GB RAM. I tried to install Windows 7 but the setup give error 0x8007025D(Cannot install as some files are missing). I re-download the setup and tried but got the same error. I tried to install Windows 8.1 Pro and it installed successfully. I want to install Windows 7 on my pc as I have it's licence key. Please help me. I tried to download iso from various sources and even from Microsoft's official server. Please help

Solution
There is one way to check if this is the actual problem. Install only the new RAM (one 2 GB stick) into your system. If Windows 7 installs properly, then this was the problem. However, if you are telling me that Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 installed successfully, then memory cannot be the problem. I just went in circles. Why did you not download Windows 7 from Microsoft's website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7)?

In general, whenever a person wants to upgrade memory in their computer, they should purchase memory that has exactly the same brand and model as the memory already installed. In addition, memory installed in the same channel should all come from the same kit. The operating system does not matter...
Aug 14, 2018

I am using a USB drive. I have used my all 4 USB drives but without success

Aug 14, 2018

I used Command prompt to create bootable USB. And it works with windows 8.1 but gives error with windows 7. Please help. Recently I also used Rufus to create it with MBR for BIOS partition.

I am assuming that Rufus didn't work either. I am a bit perplexed because Windows 8.1 installed successfully. What is the size of the HDD?

One possibility is that the partition you wish to install to is a GPT partition. You need to convert this to MBR to allow installation of Windows 7.

Boot into Windows 7 installation media

We want to open a command prompt. In the first screen, click on Repair Your Computer. On the next screen, click on Command Prompt.

Type and enter: DISKPART
    Type and enter: LIST DISK
    Type and enter: SELECT DISK 0 (If there is more than one drive, replace 0 with the correct number.)
    Type and enter: CLEAN
    Type and enter: CONVERT MBR
    Type and enter: EXIT

Restart and try the installation again.

Another cause of this error is faulty memory. Because you stated that new RAM was installed, I would think this is a possibility. However, if this was the case, the Windows 8.1 installation should have failed to. I figure it is still worth checking.

This is a memory diagnostic tool utility called MemTest86 that can be booted from a USB flash drive. The free version is all you need.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Aug 14, 2018

Well Windows 8.1also does not install at once but it also gives the same error sometimes. I tried your conversion method but it didn't work. You have any other solution? I will try the memtest and inform you soon. If you have any other method, please suggest. You help is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the new information. I apologize for not thinking about this before. I misread your initial post. Your laptop had 2 GB of RAM (1 stick) previously. You bought an additional 2 GB of RAM (1 stick) to add to your system. Are the memory's brand and model exactly? Irregardless of your answer, there is a high possibility that the memory sticks are not compatible, even if they were exactly the same. For the best compatibility, you should purchase memory in kits. In this case, you should purchase a 4 GB memory kit (1 or 2 sticks).

Aug 14, 2018

Can there be any immediate solution to this problem
Also I am using only Windows 7 Home Premium iso, does this matter? Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 installed on my PC successfully as both of them were from Microsoft's Website. But I downloaded Windows 7 from other sources. And does this memory problem is specific only to Windows 7? Thank you for your help.

There is one way to check if this is the actual problem. Install only the new RAM (one 2 GB stick) into your system. If Windows 7 installs properly, then this was the problem. However, if you are telling me that Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 installed successfully, then memory cannot be the problem. I just went in circles. Why did you not download Windows 7 from Microsoft's website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7)?

In general, whenever a person wants to upgrade memory in their computer, they should purchase memory that has exactly the same brand and model as the memory already installed. In addition, memory installed in the same channel should all come from the same kit. The operating system does not matter since this is a hardware compatibility issue. Memory compatibility is finicky. It is not an absolute. Sometimes different brands, speeds and sizes work together with no problem.

One last comment, Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 at the end of this new year (January 14, 2020).

Solution