ESEA Explains Counter-Strike: GO in Better Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Awesome! A new FPS for me to play just in time for when I get bored of BF3 and MW3. Seems like FPS games are coming out much more frequently these days.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Anyone else starting to get annoyed with Valve yet?

Episodic gaming was said to be quicker than just releasing a full game, but its been 5 and 4 years since Episode 1 and 2 and not even a word yet about Episode 3. Instead, we've got L4D 1 and 2, Portal 2, likely Dota 2 and perhaps now CS:GO all out before they even mention progress about Episode 3.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Also, Craig "Torbull" Levine is a co-owner of ESEA, he is not a professional source player. He was invited to Valve's headquarters upon the written request of Eric "lpkane" Thunberg that ESEA be represented. Thus, the following sentence is incorrect: "Levine was one of a small group of hand-picked top CSS players and community leaders who were flown in to Valve's headquarters to give feedback on the new Counter-Strike game."

frostfire626

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hopefully GO is more like 1.6 and less like Source. Anyone remember what happened to competitive CS after they released a new game?

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]Also, Craig "Torbull" Levine is a co-owner of ESEA, he is not a professional source player. He was invited to Valve's headquarters upon the written request of Eric "lpkane" Thunberg that ESEA be represented. Thus, the following sentence is incorrect: "Levine was one of a small group of hand-picked top CSS players and community leaders who were flown in to Valve's headquarters to give feedback on the new Counter-Strike game."[/citation]
So what's the problem? He's not pro player, but ESEA is still CSS community and as co-owner he's still a leader of it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Good to know they're fixing player movement, i found that the most annoying part of CS. As far as weapon accuracy and recoil is concerned, i seriously think they should copy america's army.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
It's good to see a gaming company bringing in their top supporters and pro gamers to give input on the new game. That's the right way to do it. Now just make sure you follow up and listen to their advice. Don't turn CS into spray-n-pray UT/Quake style FPS. The first shot from an m4 or ak47 should indeed be quite accurate (because the real weapon is), but CS gamers are used to all 3 rounds in a burst being accurate to a far distance. that's far from realistic in a standing shooting position. It'll be interesting if CS moves more towards realistic or sticks with the 3-round bursts from accross the map. If they made recoil more realistic it would make more aggressive rushing tactics more viable.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
"It is designed on the updated Source Engine"
Nooooooooooooo. Sure graphics don't really matter for CS or an E-sport in general but I was hoping for something new. E.g. a new engine that Valve would try out on a smaller game with just multiplayer.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Anyone else starting to get annoyed with Valve yet?Episodic gaming was said to be quicker than just releasing a full game, but its been 5 and 4 years since Episode 1 and 2 and not even a word yet about Episode 3. Instead, we've got L4D 1 and 2, Portal 2, likely Dota 2 and perhaps now CS:GO all out before they even mention progress about Episode 3.[/citation]

I heart that Valve wanted to focus more on selling games than creating them... their development department is more into making mods than new game engines.... I forgot where I read it :\ But I don't think they have a lot of interest in episode 3 right now.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]Also, Craig "Torbull" Levine is a co-owner of ESEA, he is not a professional source player. He was invited to Valve's headquarters upon the written request of Eric "lpkane" Thunberg that ESEA be represented. Thus, the following sentence is incorrect: "Levine was one of a small group of hand-picked top CSS players and community leaders who were flown in to Valve's headquarters to give feedback on the new Counter-Strike game."[/citation] He was the manager for team 3d, that's right even when they still played 1.6.

[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]"It is designed on the updated Source Engine"Nooooooooooooo. Sure graphics don't really matter for CS or an E-sport in general but I was hoping for something new. E.g. a new engine that Valve would try out on a smaller game with just multiplayer.[/citation]

VALVe wouldn't do a small release on a new engine. If they do a new engine, it would most likley be for Half Life 3. Still, Source has tons of potential. It seems older due to the fact that they want it to be able to run on older and newer hardware alike.

I am sure if VALVe wanted to they could make a new engine that killed anything currently out there but whats the purpose of insane graphice no one can run?

flipt

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
The fact that it does not feel like CSS, is a good thing, but why not emulate the feel of 1.6 since it worked and was revered. I always told my friends that if they made 1.6 with new textures and updated models, it would be a hit again. Second, and most important, they need to invent a real anti-cheat. When CSS came out, I tried it but did not like how it felt. So I tried to stay with 1.6. However, cheating was so bad in 1.6, that I left it for good. I did not leave out of boredom, but at that time, every public server seemed to have at least 3 cheaters at a time.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@ Flipt lol you need to find a proper server that always have admins on along with proper forums set up for regulars to post about cheaters to get banned from server.

But CSS pro player as person to get feedbacks from... what a joke they need to go after cs 1.6 players not that disgraced game to CS name.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
He also expresses concerns about how what apparently seems to be a console game built on the Source engine will port over to the PC.

If this is a console port then one of the last beacons of PC games will be dead to me.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure why Valve let CS go stale when it was such a popular game?!? Glad Valve is getting back on it as well as 1/2 life Ep 3 some time in the next 20 years.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Valve crew: "yay finally we can start on episode 3"
Gabe: "NO ALL resources go to Counter strike GO"
Valve crew: "but gabe.. this will delay ep3 even more"
Gabe: Problem? :coolface.jpg:

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
E-sports and console controllers dont belong together. Unless ofcourse we get to play against the noobs.. and even if they arent noobs they sure will feel like it after playing against someone like myself.
Lets make a game that is console vs PC, the PC players only get a pistol and knife while the console players get Rockets, grenades, Hyperblasters, heck all the good weapons. Sounds like and even match to me. Or you could just give them keyboard and mouse that way they would stand a chance... NA those kids have gotten so used to controllers they would need to "learn" keyboard and mouse, then whats the point cause PC users would be years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.