Question Ethanol glycol is it antifreeze?

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
I have an corsair H150i cooler it was leaking so replaced the o - ring and want to refill again there is still coolant left (orange color) can i just add distilled water till its full or can i use normal antifreeze that is used in automotive?

Lutfij

Titan
If the AIO was within your warranty period, you should've RMA'd it. As of this moment, you've voided your warranty. That being said, the radiator is aluminum while the cooling block is made of copper, you can use pretty much any watercooling premix that's off the shelf. The keyword here is premixed coolant(with additives) to prevent galvanic corrosion.

As for your refilling point, if you want to top it up, you must use the same premix that was used initially. In your predicament, you will need to flush the fluid and replace it completely. Mixing the premix with distilled will only dilute it and cause bacterial growth over time.

If you want to go with the anti-freeze route, due to the pump being weak, you should go with a 20% anti-freeze and 80% distilled water mixture but that mixture would still add restriction to the pump.

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
If the AIO was within your warranty period, you should've RMA'd it. As of this moment, you've voided your warranty. That being said, the radiator is aluminum while the cooling block is made of copper, you can use pretty much any watercooling premix that's off the shelf. The keyword here is premixed coolant(with additives) to prevent galvanic corrosion.

As for your refilling point, if you want to top it up, you must use the same premix that was used initially. In your predicament, you will need to flush the fluid and replace it completely. Mixing the premix with distilled will only dilute it and cause bacterial growth over time.

If you want to go with the anti-freeze route, due to the pump being weak, you should go with a 20% anti-freeze and 80% distilled water mixture but that mixture would still add restriction to the pump.
thanks for the info i bought the cooler 2nd hand so no warranty, ok will flush the system and see if i can get a pre mix coolant somewhere,mostly when i search forit on google it pops up as antifreeze