Ethernet Adapter Stopped Working and now Failed to Start (Code 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1ack0ut

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
Hi guys,

I've recently started having issues with my motherboards network adapter on a DIY Desktop system. Here're the relevant details of the system:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
BIOS Version: 2201 x64
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64 (Recently upgraded from Win7 x64)
Router: provided by AT&T U-Verse for Internet
Ethernet Adapter: Built-In Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V
LAN Driver version: 19.1.51.0

Description of Issue:
My internet seemed to be working fine up until last Saturday evening for youtube streaming and gaming, apart from occasional slowdowns (I typically attribute this to my ISP more than anything). When I'm finished, I power down the system and head to bed. The next day, I boot up to find that my network connection is no longer there. So, I verify all my hardware is still plugged in, internet is functioning on other network devices (smartphone and laptop), and no apparent damage can be seen physically. My antivirus didn't turn up anything (Avast).

Here's what I've verified/tried so far:
1) Used Windows troubleshooter to try and detect what the issue might be. It gave me the following diagnosis-- "The Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V adapter is experiencing driver- or
hardware-related problems. Not Fixed".

2) I went to the ASUS website and found my motherboard, downloaded the latest driver for my board using my laptop, and moved it to my desktop via USB. I then uninstalled the old driver using device manager and re-installed the driver (19.1.51). Still no connection.

3) To make sure I wasn't going crazy I pinged 127.0.0.1 to make sure the hardware was still functional. This was successful with no loss.

4) I checked the device properties for the network adapter to see if there were any errors, and it had the message under the General tab:
This device cannot start (Code 10).
[Operation Failed}
The Requested operation was unsuccessful.

5) Just as a last ditch effort, I re-installed Windows 8 from the disk onto a clean drive, and tried loading the LAN drivers from the motherboard setup disk (no success), as well as the latest and greatest from the ASUS website (no success).

Unfortunately, this Code 10 could be anything, but it seems the general consensus on the internet is that the driver is damaged or corrupt. I want to say I agree that it's software related since it happened after a system reboot, and that it feels as though when I uninstall/install the driver is refusing to take properly. From here, I'm not really sure what to try next.

Here's the site for my motherboard that I've been using to obtain drivers:
https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

If you guys have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks.

Update #1 -- Upgraded BIOS version to 2601 (latest on ASUS site). Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same thing after re-installing drivers.

Solution
I just had this problem (pretty sure I had it once before). I solved it by disconnecting the power to my pc for a bit, I also turned off the psu just to be sure. I waited to let everything discharge and then turned it back on. An behooold! Glorious internet!

Tylor Hagedorn

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Well I have no solution, but I'm right with you there bud. It was working and suddenly no luck... I've been through a million and five different routes and I've even been on the phone with tech support for several hours and they got nada

Dashing_star

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Another piece of information we need is: open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all then copy and paste that output in your post.

Have any changes been made in the BIOS, like disabling the Ethernet controller, or anything else? the Code 10 error usually occurs with installing the wrong, or corrupted drivers.

Elsarild

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Slight necro just to add my own information to the pile, same motherboard, same problem. Worked fine in the morning, shut my PC down, booted it up no more than 6 hours later, no thunderstorms in between, and no one has been near my PC, but on the next boot my LAN started throwing that error.

Things I've tried:

System restore to last known working configuration - Same error.
Found driver manually and installed them - same error.
Removed drivers, let windows find one - same error.
Checked BIOS settings and restored bios settings - Same error.
Updated BIOS V.2601 to V.2801 - same error.
Tested 3rd party driver utility software - same error.
Tried to get automatic driver software to find a new driver - same error.
Upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 - No change.
Clearing CMOS - no change.

I'm looking at an RMA it seems, or just installing another network card and go from there, but I'd rather not risk it, in case the LAN port is just the first part going the way of the dodo.

Astrosaurus

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I have the exact same problem.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
Router - TM-AC1900
Ethernet Adapter: Built-In Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V

Just randomly stopped working.

Shariq_1

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hi .... I Am Having The Very Same Issue as Yoyrs .. And My Mobo Is Maximus Ranger VII
And If You Find Any solution for this problem . doo let me know please ...

bfikse

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Hey everyone,

Sorry about the necro, but I just had this problem with an ASUS Z97-A MOBO. I fixed this issue by resetting my mobo's CMOS. To reset the CMOS unplug the computer then remove the flat battery on your MOBO for 5 min.

Hope this helps.

Geo_

Honorable
Oct 7, 2015
I had the same problem with the ASUS Z97-A. The network connection just crapped out and I got this message from the troubleshooter "The Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V adapter is experiencing driver- or
hardware-related problems"

I fixed it without having to remove the CMOS battery, just by clearing the RTC RAM with the 3-pin CLRTC jumper. Unplug everything and move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for 10 seconds and then move back. Reset BIOS settings on restart.

I'm not an expert but it worked like a charm for me.

KueiFu

Commendable
May 14, 2016

+1

Jamie_36

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I have the same issue. My nic worked fine in the morning then went back a few hours later and now I'm getting a code 10. I have asus Maximus hero VII mobo

Davidiam

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I have seen the same error message with the I218-LM many times. The problem was related to the ultra low power mode. The only way to get it out of that mode is with special Intel utilities. Best to contact the vendor of your network card. This is an issue that should be kown to them.

Updating bios and drivers will most likely have no effect as it is a very low level issue in the NVM (non volatile memory) of the adaptor.

Mongal0

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Just had exactly the same thing today on a Asus Maximus Hero VII mobo. Its worked fine for over a year then today when I turn on network adaptor not working. Tried reinstalling the driver with no luck and that's when I found this thread. Done what was suggested, reset the cmos and it has fixed my problem. Thanks guys.

Haitu

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I found out that it because of a Windows 10 driver update. I recalled my drivers back before the 1219-V update and it worked. If someone can find a way to remove it or block it, please post.

Sir Fridge

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I just had this problem (pretty sure I had it once before). I solved it by disconnecting the power to my pc for a bit, I also turned off the psu just to be sure. I waited to let everything discharge and then turned it back on. An behooold! Glorious internet!

Solution

Drgoku

Reputable
May 25, 2015

Yes. This worked for me.
I also have an asus z97 motherboard. Gryphon in my case. I just had to pull out the power cord from psu wait for a minute and then plug it back in and restart.

Flying Potato

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I have the exact same Motherboard but running a Windows 10 Home. I've basically done everything that you've done and this is starting to frustrate me. I just noticed that we're not too far apart. Do you think it has something to do with the latest Windows update? My laptop seems to have no issue. RMAing this thing will be a damn headache. I've emailed ASUS about it too :(

Update:
I unplugged everything and left it like that for about an hour and a half. Plugged everything back and ethernet just suddenly worked. Thanks to all everyone who responded on this guy's thread!

Marlon28

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
my solution! just unplug the power cord for 10mins! then plug it and it work! it look like we need to reset or take out all power to the system

no need to takeout the cmos battery or make any jumper setting

mobo: asus maximus gene vll

good luck :)

May 15, 2018

Thanks to all who posted this, it worked for me! So much easier than opening up the computer or buying another part.

Status
Not open for further replies.