[SOLVED] Ethernet connection slower than my 5Ghz Wifi?

JackFTH

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Hey everyone, so I recently noticed that my downloads were a bit spotty and just generally speaking not as fast as I felt they should be. I pay for 250Mbps down and 30Mbps up, which is what I receive on the 5Ghz wifi network on my phone and tablet.

Now I've just done a speed test and I am only receiving 100Mbps and 15 Mbps on my PC that's connected via an Ethernet cable and I don't understand why. It's maybe worth mentioning that I have a switch between the router and my PC, which now that I think about it I don't need anymore, but I don't expect that to be the problem because it has worked well before with the same setup.

I'm basically asking whether there are some things I should double-check, either software or hardware wise, to make sure it's not something provider or router-based.
I'd really like to receive the full speed I pay for, instead of 27%.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Try a different cable or router port, 100 mbit is right at one of the NIC sync speeds, if it can't autonegotiate to gigabit it fails back to 100 mbit.
It's maybe worth mentioning that I have a switch between the router and my PC, which now that I think about it I don't need anymore, but I don't expect that to be the problem because it has worked well before with the same setup.
Which switch? You also might want to verify the speed lights for the uplink as well, either your PC or switch uplink could be negotiating to 100 mbps, either one along the chain will limit your throughput.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Try a different cable or router port, 100 mbit is right at one of the NIC sync speeds, if it can't autonegotiate to gigabit it fails back to 100 mbit.
It's maybe worth mentioning that I have a switch between the router and my PC, which now that I think about it I don't need anymore, but I don't expect that to be the problem because it has worked well before with the same setup.
Which switch? You also might want to verify the speed lights for the uplink as well, either your PC or switch uplink could be negotiating to 100 mbps, either one along the chain will limit your throughput.

Reactions: JackFTH
Solution

JackFTH

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017

I've moved the router port and removed the switch as I used that for my gaming console which I don't have hooked up right now and it's fixed. I suspect it has to do with the router port as it worked well with the switch before, but my roommate cleaned the techcorner recently and the cable that goes up to my room was not in the same port, should've checked that first. Thanks anyhow!

Reactions: beers

TRENDING THREADS