Jun 28, 2023
Hi, so i resently build my first computer, and i have been using my phone for internet because we didnt have cabled internet before. Now we have gotten it, and i can finally have an ethernet cable in my pc.

I try to put the cable in the pc, the light besides the ethernet cable starts flashing green so i figure it works (later tried to connect it to laptop, the cable definitely works), but my pc doesnt have a part in the networking settings that says ethernet. I figure its a driver problem, so i go to intels website to download the latest driver for my intel ethernet controller. It downloads and now i can see the ethernet setting, but it doesnt detect a cable. I go to the back of my pc and see theres no longer any light.
I try to go to my motherboards website instead to download their driver for the connector, but same issue. If i try to go to device manager and disable the device, the green light starts flashing again.

I have tried searching everywhere for a fix, but nothing helpa. So this is my last resort. Thanks for any help :)

Ok, so one end of the Ethernet cable is connected to the PC and I assumed the other end is connected to a router or modem LAN port.
What's the motherboard manufacturer and model?
Uninstall the Ethernet device from the Device Manager and select to delete its drivers, reboot and let Windows install the drivers.
Also try another Ethernet cable.

Jun 28, 2023
Ok, so one end of the Ethernet cable is connected to the PC and I assumed the other end is connected to a router or modem LAN port.
What's the motherboard manufacturer and model?
Uninstall the Ethernet device from the Device Manager and select to delete its drivers, reboot and let Windows install the drivers.
Also try another Ethernet cable.
Motherboard is a Rog Strix B650e-e. Tried the uninstall and reboot, comes up "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Cable also works on my laptop, is it possible for it to work on one device and not another? (Dont have the opportunity to try another cable because modem is 15m away from pc and screen is mounted on wall so cant move the pc).

Just in case run a hardware troubleshooter.
Press Win + R keys and type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic.
The hardware troubleshooter will scan for problems and it will try to fix it.

If you installed the CPU properly, the motherboard is secured on the appropriate stands and AMD chipset drivers were installed ...then it could be a faulty motherboard.
You could either RMA it or install a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
So the steps for the drivers generally are to first load the motherboard chipset drivers. Most times the ethernet port will not even appear in the device manager before this. After you get this loaded you would get the latest drivers from intel in your case.

Device can not start though is almost always a driver issue of some kind.

Note the lights on the ethernet port do not mean a lot on moden machines. Many times the ethernet chip will be kept active by the bios even when the OS is shutdown. The bios itself has very basic support of ethernet.

TRENDING THREADS