Dec 20, 2020
Hi!

I've seen similar threads but I've tried all possible solutions suggested and I'm starting to feel defeated.

I built a new PC this year, and was on my building WiFi until recently I bought my own router and have been running an ethernet to my PC. Randomly while gaming my ethernet will disconnect me and say "no internet" for anywhere from 5 seconds to a few minutes at a time. This seems to happen sporadically with no reason to it. If I switch my ethernet off and use the wi-fi, the network still works, and my computer can use the internet. Also my other devices work fine when this happens.

I have tried:
  • changing the cable
  • changing which port the ethernet is using on the router
  • running the "troubleshoot" tool this just says no problem detected
  • updating the drivers
  • deleting and reinstalling the ethernet drivers
  • disabling wifi while using ethernet
  • changing the settings to the use the default DNS

I literally can't figure out why this happens, it is so annoying to have fast internet disconnect for no reason at all.

Please any suggestions are greatly appreciated and I can provide any additional information if needed.

Solution
I would go into the network settings and disable the ipv6 support.

What is very strange about your second "working" one is the ethernet adapter still shows up even though you say you are on wifi. The difference is this time it does not have ipv6 addresses but it has ipv4 addresses.

When you have both ethernet and wifi connected at the same time the default action is to use the ethernet. Hard to say what it does when one adapter has ipv6 and the other does not. My guess would be it runs ipv4 on ethernet and ipv6 on wifi. Not sure best is to eliminate the complexity and just turn off ipv6. Most people do not need it and it for some reason tends to have worse internet performance.
Dec 20, 2020
pzZjglj.png
LlqtePe.png

What looks different when id you do the ipconfig /all when it broken. Is the ethernet disconnected status.

I would see what happens if you disable IPv6 in the ethernet nic settings. IPv6 causes all kinds of strange issues for people. It provides little to no benefit other than for some game consoles and some tiny number of servers in asia that are only ipv6 based.

Can you ping your router IP when it is broken

Dec 20, 2020
What looks different when id you do the ipconfig /all when it broken. Is the ethernet disconnected status.

I would see what happens if you disable IPv6 in the ethernet nic settings. IPv6 causes all kinds of strange issues for people. It provides little to no benefit other than for some game consoles and some tiny number of servers in asia that are only ipv6 based.

Yes I have ipconfig up and I will ping it when the crash happens next time, I tried the IPv6 you suggested just now, will see if that helps

Dec 20, 2020

Here is what it looks like when the internet goes out, I also included what it looks like when I switch to the wifi. Any advice?

lxi6gnz.png

GKSNOzB.png

What is very strange about your second "working" one is the ethernet adapter still shows up even though you say you are on wifi. The difference is this time it does not have ipv6 addresses but it has ipv4 addresses.

When you have both ethernet and wifi connected at the same time the default action is to use the ethernet. Hard to say what it does when one adapter has ipv6 and the other does not. My guess would be it runs ipv4 on ethernet and ipv6 on wifi. Not sure best is to eliminate the complexity and just turn off ipv6. Most people do not need it and it for some reason tends to have worse internet performance.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020

Hey thanks again for the input, I did some more specific digging and found this:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/h78ypa/support_rog_strix_z490f_gaming_ethernet_not/

Apparently my specific motherboard has software/hardware problems when using Ethernet for less than 2.5GB connections... never would have even thought that but I downgraded drivers to one that Asus says works. Let's hope this fixes it.