Ethernet doesnt have a valid ip-configuration (very odd)

Mar 7, 2018
Okay so my problem here is very very odd.
It started a few days ago while playing a video game, my connection suddenly just failed. I tried for some hours fixing it (netsh reset, windows problemsolver, and even installed a brand new version of windows 10)
but it kept showing different error messages. At first i was something like "cant authenticate network, or cant verify network, i cant completly remember sorry. But now it says "Ethernet does not have a valid ip-configuration"
The weird part is that i have another pc connected to the same internet via LAN, (This pc is connected via LAN too) and everytime the old pc is running, my internet works fine, and i have no problems. But sometimes on the old PC i just get a message saying "A problem has occured and the computer needs to restart, but first we will gather some information" And then i just stays at 0% forever. Well that shouldnt have anything to do with this PC but for some reason it does and i cant use the internet again. I now have pulled the LAN cable out of the old pc and my new pc is working just fine.

I have absolutely no idea why the old pc is somehow interferring with the LAN, because the wifi is working fine too. The machine is very old and i could just throw it out, but my parents use it sometimes and they really want to keep it.

Solution
A bad network card or cable can cause issues for other systems on the same network. Try using another cable or get a PCI network card for that old PC and see if it works better on that.

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

To keep a long exhaustive answer short. I would say most likely you are experiencing the failure of the nic in the older machine, also I would check the status of the ethernet cable attached to that machine.