Ethernet internet is super slow on only one computer

Gogsley

Reputable
May 9, 2015
So it started about a week ago where my usual speeds of 70Mbps on speedtest dropped down to around 9-30 Mbps. I do not know what is going on here as I have tried everything I could find online to fix this issue. This is only happening on my gaming rig, my phone and other computers are reaching 75 Mbps just fine

I have
1) checked for malware and viruses (NOTHING FOUND)
2) Reset network configs
3) Removed extentions
4) Disabled useless services and startup services
5) Uninstalled programs that were pointless

This happened after I installed and started playing Battlefield 4 last week. I am aware this game installs and extra few programs as well.

I have read that updating bios will help...

FYI:
Windows 10

Ralston18

Titan
Do not update the bios unless you know that that will help.

Look for those "few extra programs". Find them and find out what they are doing.

Task Manager and Resource Monitor will be helpful tools.

Open one or the other and watch your system for a while. Then game, see what, if anything changes.

Keep notes and do not immediately react to something that seems obvious. Check other possibilities out and go back if you are convinced that you indeed identify the source of the problem.

Be methodical and do not just start changing things. Could be some combination of things (aka "perfect storm").

You objective is to identify the trigger that cause speeds to drop.

Gogsley

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I have checked my task manager and other tools to look for what you said.
From my testing and gaming, BF1 was the only application to actually use any percentage of the cpu, disk, networking, and ram.
While on idle, cpu usage is on 0%, ram is 8% (which is normal), disk usage is 0&, and networking is 0%.

In conclusion, nothing looks concerning in my system that could take the internet like that. Could this be because my ethernet cable is just faulty all of a sudden?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable. Check the Ethernet ports: ensure no debris inside and that you have a good solid plug to port connection.

Likewise check in interim connections: wall ports, powerline adapters, etc.

Download and reinstall the drivers for your network adapter. Download from the manufacturer and be sure to match your OS.

Who has admin rights to your router? May need to check the configuration settings therein.

Gogsley

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I have solved the problem. I am using a powerline to connect the ethernet to my computer which is a couple of rooms away from the router itself. A week ago, my dad got a new TV and because of that tv, my internet had worsened because of noise in wall. To fix it, I just took out my powerline and plugged in my wifi adapter and installed its driver using my crappy ethernet speeds.
My internet speed is normal once again, thanks to those who helped.
wifi saved the day!

closing thread