Ethernet Jack On The Wall Doesn't Work

Jun 26, 2018
I have an ethernet jack on my wall that's been there since I moved in. I am still a kid and live with my parents so I don't have the master bedroom, which is where the router is, so I can't plug my computer directly into the router. I tried the ethernet jack and my computer just says "Unidentified Network." Is there any way to get that port to work? Could I have someone from Spectrum come out and get it working? I'm probably just stupid but that's why I came here.

Jun 26, 2018

Jun 26, 2018
I'm pretty tech savvy, but I'm clueless when it comes to Wi-Fi. I know I have an Asus router and I can find the exact one if its necessary. I'm 13, by the way. My dad said that if we can have a guy come out and do something for fairly cheap, we will.

A random jack in a wall will not work unless it's hooked up to your router and modem. You would need to check the wiring in the house and see where this jack leads to, there may be a patch panel in some closet or basement/attic where you would connect to your modem and router. The standard practice is to have a jack labeled so you can trace where the wires go to on the other end, which would also have a label there.

Jun 26, 2018

Can I have someone from Spectrum do that? Can they reroute the wires to the router?

Sure they should have wiring techs available, you'd have to contact them about the cost.