[SOLVED] Ethernet keeps losing connection

soccastar001

Honorable
Sep 11, 2015
On my Windows PC the ethernet adapter randomly loses connection seemingly at random. It will happen every few days, sometimes more frequently (daily). I'll notice because I'll lose all internet access then when looking at the network connections I can see the red X over my ethernet adapter. Disabling, waiting 30 seconds, then re-enabling the adapter fixes it until the next time it happens.

I've ensured I have all the most updated drivers.

I've turned off "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" under power managerment.

I've also changed the speed and duplex setting to 2.5GHz Duplex from automatic (I have gigabit ethernet).

Any advice on further troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Solution
You want to always leave the setting on auto. I am not sure what 2.5g does especially if your router does not have 2.5g ports.

There has been a lot of people posting issues with the 2.5g chipsets. Mostly it is a performance issues that are fixed with drivers. In your case this is much more fundamental and it not likely software.

When you see a red x it means you have a hardware issue. Most times it is just a bad ethernet cable. The 2.5g chipset are much more sensitive to fake or defective cables it seems.

I would try a new cable. Be very sure it is valid cable, do not use that flat cable you see being sold everywhere. That cable does not meet the standards to be called ethernet cables.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your Ethernet adapter? If it's bundled with your motherboard, might want to mention the make and model of your motherboard. BIOS version for said motherboard? What OS are you working with? Do you have the Ethernet cable running from a router or a hub? Might want to see if your router is pending any firmware updates. Also, have you tried changing the Ethernet cable?

You want to always leave the setting on auto. I am not sure what 2.5g does especially if your router does not have 2.5g ports.

There has been a lot of people posting issues with the 2.5g chipsets. Mostly it is a performance issues that are fixed with drivers. In your case this is much more fundamental and it not likely software.

When you see a red x it means you have a hardware issue. Most times it is just a bad ethernet cable. The 2.5g chipset are much more sensitive to fake or defective cables it seems.

I would try a new cable. Be very sure it is valid cable, do not use that flat cable you see being sold everywhere. That cable does not meet the standards to be called ethernet cables.

Solution