[SOLVED] ethernet over power connector causing interference with studio monitors

Nerdtweak

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Recently I decided to invest in an Ethernet Over Power adapter to connect my PC to the internet (as opposed to running a really long cord through my entire house). However, now I've come across a problem where I have a constant, irregular static noise coming out of my studio speakers (KRK VXT 8's). The problem becomes more intense when I run a speed test or do anything network heavy (such as download torrents or stream).

Unplugging the adapter removes all static, however there's only two plugs in my room to use, and the other one is in use for my PC and peripherals (so movement isn't an option).

I tried putting foil around the cord and the adapter to no avail, and I can't seem to find any line RJ45 line filters at my local computer stores.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could fix this issue, that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

Solution
Use a surge suppressing power strip for your studio speakers. A good one should isolate and remove the noise. If that doesn't work, use a good sinewave ups unit.