Question Ethernet port shuts down when playing a game that overheats the GPU ?

Aug 9, 2024
Asking for insights on why my ethernet port shuts itself down when my GPU is starting to literally cook,
Like it only happens when I play a game that fully utilize my GPU to the point where the metal platel of the GPU is hot itself. I already cleaned my PC and changed the GPU's thermal paste & pads but it's still occuring.

Here is the full specs:
Ryzen 5 Pro 3400GE
16 GB RAM
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Seasonic 500 Watts
RX 570

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's a bit of info of this case that i can see, can support 8 fans but not sure if can increase the amount of front intake fans, there should always be more intake than exhaust. For gpu face plate and surrounding areas to get hot seems to me there's significant dead space around that area where not much air is getting to.

Try rearrange or get some more fans. Two intake / one exhaust if possible instead of two exhaust. If can't have two intake at front then try fan placed above the psu cabinet and oriented to push air up under the forward most end of the gpu, closest possible to rear case panel.

Is psu upside down so fan is facing the bottom? Having it this way won't upset airflow so air has nowhere to go except up and exhausted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xackyrhin
Aug 9, 2024
There's a bit of info of this case that i can see, can support 8 fans but not sure if can increase the amount of front intake fans, there should always be more intake than exhaust. For gpu face plate and surrounding areas to get hot seems to me there's significant dead space around that area where not much air is getting to.

Try rearrange or get some more fans. Two intake / one exhaust if possible instead of two exhaust. If can't have two intake at front then try fan placed above the psu cabinet and oriented to push air up under the forward most end of the gpu, closest possible to rear case panel.

Is psu upside down so fan is facing the bottom? Having it this way won't upset airflow so air has nowhere to go except up and exhausted.
So is there no other reason I should think off why the NIC automatically shutdowns when the GPU is overheating? Like is there no other correlation between other parts/components?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So is there no other reason I should think off why the NIC automatically shutdowns when the GPU is overheating? Like is there no other correlation between other parts/components?

I can't think of anything else other than cooling. Send more air through, that should improve and help cool the graphics card better and in turn a cooler nic.

Test by opening side panel, see if just open air helps. If nic functions, and also a cooler gpu, you know cooling with side panel closed isn't great.

Reactions: Xackyrhin
Aug 9, 2024
I can't think of anything else other than cooling. Send more air through, that should improve and help cool the graphics card better and in turn a cooler nic.

Test by opening side panel, see if just open air helps. If nic functions, and also a cooler gpu, you know cooling with side panel closed isn't great.
Ok Thankyou! I'll try that and reply as soon as possible

Aug 9, 2024

It seems you we're right, I tried the route where I removed the side panel, I was able to game without the NIC shuttting down on me, although the plate of the GPU is still heating, but compared to the heating when the side panel is on is a huge difference. Thankyou for the help! Could you suggest me any options wherein I can keep the side panel but without the NIC shutting down on me? Also if it's relevant my GPU is sitting around 80°C while playing a game called Dungeonborne on Medium settings.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It seems you we're right, I tried the route where I removed the side panel, I was able to game without the NIC shuttting down on me, although the plate of the GPU is still heating, but compared to the heating when the side panel is on is a huge difference. Thankyou for the help! Could you suggest me any options wherein I can keep the side panel but without the NIC shutting down on me? Also if it's relevant my GPU is sitting around 80°C while playing a game called Dungeonborne on Medium settings.

Your case when i looked at it comes with default two fans, front and rear. You said you had two exhaust, where is the second exhaust? I guess it's top? If it is, remove this fan and place it like how i suggested in my second reply above the psu if unable to add it as another front intake. Any fan can be intake or exhaust, just the matter of how it is faced.

I also asked if psu fan is facing down? That'll also help if your case has a vent underneath, turn the psu upside down so the psu fan is facing downward.

Last edited: