[SOLVED] Ethernet port wont work. Tried EVERYTHING. HELP..

Devastation20

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
My buddy's PC, working fine on a ethernet connection, was unplugged and delivered to my house for temporary storage, while at my house I was going to swap in his new SSDs in. Plugged my ethernet cord in his PC and it just said unidentified network, no internet connection. So I'm like cool, quick troubleshoot to reset it and were good. Troubleshoot didnt work, says invalid ip configuration. So I figured a quick google search would fix it, well every solution to that problem did NOT fix it. I tried everything down every list. All of the cmd commands and resets, disabling drivers and reinstalling, yes I tried turning wifi off ofc, I reset everything I could. Nothing. Tried a different, brand new ethernet cord and in a different slot on the modem, didnt work. Plugged them in my PC, they worked. At this point I'm thinking busted ethernet port, order a new ethernet card off the internet, plugged into the new port, still nothing. at this point there's nothing else I know to do but factory restore everything. I formatted every hard drive and reinstalled a freshly downloaded version of windows 10, and this time hoped and prayed and NOTHING.. same error.. I just dont know what to do, a fresh install and a fresh ethernet port didnt even solve the problem, at this point I just dont know what to do. The windows 10 is not activated if that helps. Also, using a wifi adapter works on the PC, its just the ethernet.. Begging for your help community!!

Solution
My buddy's PC, working fine on a ethernet connection, was unplugged and delivered to my house for temporary storage, while at my house I was going to swap in his new SSDs in. Plugged my ethernet cord in his PC and it just said unidentified network, no internet connection. So I'm like cool, quick troubleshoot to reset it and were good. Troubleshoot didnt work, says invalid ip configuration. So I figured a quick google search would fix it, well every solution to that problem did NOT fix it. I tried everything down every list. All of the cmd commands and resets, disabling drivers and reinstalling, yes I tried turning wifi off ofc, I reset everything I could. Nothing. Tried a different, brand new ethernet cord and in a different slot on...

kanewolf

Titan
My buddy's PC, working fine on a ethernet connection, was unplugged and delivered to my house for temporary storage, while at my house I was going to swap in his new SSDs in. Plugged my ethernet cord in his PC and it just said unidentified network, no internet connection. So I'm like cool, quick troubleshoot to reset it and were good. Troubleshoot didnt work, says invalid ip configuration. So I figured a quick google search would fix it, well every solution to that problem did NOT fix it. I tried everything down every list. All of the cmd commands and resets, disabling drivers and reinstalling, yes I tried turning wifi off ofc, I reset everything I could. Nothing. Tried a different, brand new ethernet cord and in a different slot on the modem, didnt work. Plugged them in my PC, they worked. At this point I'm thinking busted ethernet port, order a new ethernet card off the internet, plugged into the new port, still nothing. at this point there's nothing else I know to do but factory restore everything. I formatted every hard drive and reinstalled a freshly downloaded version of windows 10, and this time hoped and prayed and NOTHING.. same error.. I just dont know what to do, a fresh install and a fresh ethernet port didnt even solve the problem, at this point I just dont know what to do. The windows 10 is not activated if that helps. Also, using a wifi adapter works on the PC, its just the ethernet.. Begging for your help community!!
First, do you have a modem or a router? That is important. If you only have a modem, then the ISP has "remembered" the MAC address from your PC and you have to power off your modem, wait a couple min, then power back on before connecting a different computer.
If you have a router, then that shouldn't be a problem.

Solution

Devastation20

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
First, do you have a modem or a router? That is important. If you only have a modem, then the ISP has "remembered" the MAC address from your PC and you have to power off your modem, wait a couple min, then power back on before connecting a different computer.
If you have a router, then that shouldn't be a problem.
Both, but I powered off the modem and ate a sandwich and powered it back on and it didn't fix it! but since you said this I took it into consideration and plugged it from my modem and into my router and now it works! This whole time..it was the modem. Oh well it needed a cleaning anyways and already sent the card back. Thanks a lot buddy!