[SOLVED] Ethernet slower than WIFI (SOLVED)

May 16, 2020
I have contracted a plan of 50 megabytes and it was always wonderful until a few days that out of nowhere I started receiving only 6 megabytes, by cable. With the other devices over WIFI I am doing excellent and I enjoy the adequate speed. I clarify that I did not touch any configuration and the network card is gigabit and is well configured.

I tried different applications like NetAdapterRepair.
I updated the drivers.
I booted into safe mode with network functions and performed a clean boot.
I tried another modem port and tried another ethernet cable.
I performed the test on another computer connected to the modem and if it receives the entire connection.
I also activated the Windows Auto Tuning application (as another post said).

Nothing worked.

Reactions: Cubeeee
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS on the slow computer.

On the slow computer ensure that only the wired network adapter is enabled. The wireless adapter (if any) should be disabled.

Also run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on the slow computer.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS on the slow computer.

On the slow computer ensure that only the wired network adapter is enabled. The wireless adapter (if any) should be disabled.

Also run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on the slow computer.

Solution
May 16, 2020

I use Windows 10 and my network card is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #10.

zHnaRo2.png

OH!
When I look at the configuration of the adapter it says that the speed is 10.0mbs (although I configured it to be 1.0 gigabits) can this be an error?

dQeNiS1.png

May 16, 2020
I FINALLY SOLVED IT!
All I had to do was disconnect the computer power supply for a few minutes. I honestly didn't think it would work, but now my computer works at 1.0 gb again.

Thank you, everyone

I FINALLY SOLVED IT!
All I had to do was disconnect the computer power supply for a few minutes. I honestly didn't think it would work, but now my computer works at 1.0 gb again.

Thank you, everyone
Sweet! Glad you figured it out. :)

And a little background on how this might have happened and why turning the system off completely fixed it.

Most ethernet cards have a feature called 'wake on lan' which will actually turn the pc on if the nic gets a special 'magic packet'. Now while this isn't used in the home, when a computer is turned off and not hard turned off, the nic actually goes into 10Mbs to listen for the magic packet. For some reason, it seems your nic would just not get out of the 10Mbps mode and back to gigabit when power was fully turned on. And by cycling the power completely, the nic went back to working correctly. :)

Reactions: danilom
May 16, 2020
Sweet! Glad you figured it out. :)

And a little background on how this might have happened and why turning the system off completely fixed it.

Most ethernet cards have a feature called 'wake on lan' which will actually turn the pc on if the nic gets a special 'magic packet'. Now while this isn't used in the home, when a computer is turned off and not hard turned off, the nic actually goes into 10Mbs to listen for the magic packet. For some reason, it seems your nic would just not get out of the 10Mbps mode and back to gigabit when power was fully turned on. And by cycling the power completely, the nic went back to working correctly. :)
So I should disable this option so something like this doesn't happen again?

So I should disable this option so something like this doesn't happen again?
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but honestly nics never usually have this problem and I would leave it on and see if the problem ever returns because it could be an early sign your nic is starting to fail. My bet is that you won't have this happen again but maybe once a year if even ever again.