Status
Not open for further replies.

alananderson

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
I have a new Arris DG1670 modem with built in WiFi router and my desktop Ethernet connection is slower than WiFi. The PC has both connections and I have tested them separately. Wifi = 30Mbps and Ethernet =7Mbps.

I replaced the cable, no updates to the Ethernet driver were available. I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi

Very strange.

Did you disconnect the Ethernet cable for WiFi testing?

Does device manager show Ethernet device?
What speed was Ethernet to router usually 100 Mbps but maybe at Mbps if so slow

Do you have another PC or laptop you can use to test Ethernet to Internet speed?

Is the PC adjacent to the router modem?

A long Ethernet cable - subject to interference from an adjacent power cable - may cause the slowdown.

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

Have you run a broadband speed test over wireless and Ethernet ?
What speeds does it show for each connection?

If your broadband is 7MB / S (at the modem)

Data won't go any faster if the PC to wireless access point router can do 30 MB/ S or 100MB/S (Ethernet usual speed )

Do you have broadband over telephone copper wire, cable or fibre ?

Regards
Mike Barnes

alananderson

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Used speed test by ookla
Time warner cable ISP with 100Mbps plan
Test 1 disabled Ethernet established connection through wifi and speedtest results 30Mbps
Test 2 disabled wifi established connection through Ethernet speedtest results 7Mbps

Hi

Very strange.

Did you disconnect the Ethernet cable for WiFi testing?

Does device manager show Ethernet device?
What speed was Ethernet to router usually 100 Mbps but maybe at Mbps if so slow

Do you have another PC or laptop you can use to test Ethernet to Internet speed?

Is the PC adjacent to the router modem?

A long Ethernet cable - subject to interference from an adjacent power cable - may cause the slowdown.

Regards
Mike Barnes

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Razichy
Solution

alananderson

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Success! Thanks MBarns86... I used laptop to the same Ethernet connection and it was slow. I changed to a different port on the modem/router and instant speed - speed test results a whopping 200Mbps! Awesome.

Pavloadz

Reputable
May 16, 2015

Hello there Mike ..

I've been having this weird issue on my Laptop .. usually i'm always connected via Ethernet cause it's obviously faster than WiFi .. but not long ago my Ethernet connection became very laggy ... like with insane delay .. speedtests show nothing .. the speed is fine .. but for example some websites need more than 30 seconds to load .. while on wifi instant loading .. tried pinging them from cmd .. the requests simply time out !! it's very annoying and weird .. I don't know what happened all of a sudden .. I didn't install any new Software or AntiVirus programs.
Only sites like google / facebook / twitter and youtube stayed unaffected almost everything else i try to open .. either times out .. or takes ages to load !! I tried turning my AntiVirus off ... switched between all the ports on the Router .. nothing ! I tried the connection on my friends notebook .. and it was perfectly fine .. only on my laptop it's acting like that !! It's driving me crazy ! HELP !

Hi Pavloads

Run ipconfig /all

From command prompt
with only wired Ethernet connection
Then with only wireless connection
Logout between changing over

See if there is any difference and report difference

See if powering modem router down then back up makes any difference.

It is strange only some web sites are affected it could be malware changing network settings

Regards
Mike Barnes

kelix09

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
First thing I'd try is reinstalling your network drivers... if that didn't work, I'd see if there were newer drivers to update them. If neither of those worked I'd probably restore the modem and router back to factory settings.

legogenius18

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
Testing internet on my ipad i was getting around 21mbps down then tested my computer and it was at 4. Currently using a powerline adapter, went to my base ment and switched the ethernet cable to the right of the current port i was using it felt so tight i didnt even think it was ethernet. Came upstairs and now im getting about 30 down!!!

Bedito

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
When I tried to change the port yesterday, it didn't work
Today I tried again and it was a succes ! :D
Ithink it's just a matter of time or an ISP problem, pretty weird though....

undertaker99

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016

My problem is also that my ethernet is slower that wireless (about 60% of the wireless speed).
Finally found if I disable my ethernet card, then enable it right away, I have full speed on ethernet.
Not a peremanent as I have to do that every time I turn on the computer, but maybe that info helps find one by someone a lot smarter than me.

TheElemynt

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

I'm having the same issue listed though ghis solution isn't my own. I've tested my ports and cables across different computers and they all run at intended speeds. Could you be spacific on how to go about checking and changing what you said here? " Ethernet to router usually 100 Mbps but maybe at 10mbps if so slow "

Nerdy Anarchist

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Try disconnecting Wifi with Ethernet plugged in. You could try troubleshooting but it often wont have a good fix. Make sure the Ethernet cable is of proper speed. For instance a chord that says "Used only for wireless router" might not suffice. If your router was connected directly to a desktop, use that Ethernet. Your router might have multiple Ethernet cable ports, try inserting in #1..

Ryan_244

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I'm having this same issue with my Xbox one... Fios fiber optic cable, all brand new, I get 6.76 DL 60 UL 130 latency wired and 31 DL 60 UL 79 latency wifi... I was lagging super hard using my Ethernet cord, tried every port, resetting, etc... I just find t so odd that I'm not lagging whatsoever wireless but am wired...

jstep32x

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I'm having the same problem with my Xbox one. I have my router connected to the router in the back of my house which is where the modem is. I tried using LAN to LAN and the LAN to wan route and still my download speed suffered. I'm talking 10mbps. Yikes! Help!!!

Justin_178

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I have the same proglem. Wifi is usually at 136 mbps, but with a wired connection, it fluctuates a lot. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes, peaks at 195 mpbs, and sometimes, only 20mbps.

P_8___pdogg

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
My Netgear c3000 wireless cable modem router has a similar problem, one of the ethernet ports is bad, one is good. Speed test wouldn’t even complete on one of the ethernet ports. Too lazy to bring it back since I use wireless almost always except for the initial modem setup. I only ever need one port anyways.

umashi

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

don't listen to mbarnes it's your mtu on the ethernet adapter that needs to be adjusted
nothing is wrong with anything else,
the mtu is the reason why your connection times out on different sites than google and youtube.

umashi

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
as for everyone else having problems with their ethernet on the consoles you need to setup a static ip for ethernet to get a solid connection otherwise dhcp is gonna allocate a different ip address everytime you turn your console on which is why they have connection problems, not to mention you need to disable QoS on the router/gateway
because it seriously screws up your bandwidth.
as for those having speed problems on their computers you need to adjust the Tx and Rx buffers and check the flow control settings on the ethernet adapter.

May 6, 2019
Had a real tough with this one, ended up being AutoTuningLevel disabled. Setting it to normal fixed it for me, Ethernet was capped at 200, now its back to my normal speed.

In CMD type in: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal .😊

Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.