[SOLVED] Ethernet speed lower than my WiFi speed ?

Jun 7, 2021
Since last 4-5 days, my ethernet speeds have tanked compared to wifi speed.
Normally, I used to get 130-140Mbps speed on ethernet, but now I am getting like 35-45Mbps only. If I speed test on mobile, the speed is still like 130-140Mbps, tried speed testing in my SmartTV using ethernet connection, it's around 100-110Mbps.

I custom built my PC like 6 months back. Please help...

Solution
I don't know how to boot a linux live Cd though
It's easy. Download this iso:
https://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.4.1_public.iso

Then write it to a cd if your system has a cd drive. Otherwise, you can write it to a usb flash drive which is blank using rufus:

Once you have your live cd/usb, reboot your system and choose the cd/usb as the boot device using the bios boot menu. After a few minutes you will have a completely live linux OS running in ram that is completely separate from windows. Run the speed test there and see if you're okay or not.
Jun 7, 2021
I did try different ports on the router, no change.
Regarding cable, I don't have a spare one, although I ordered one through amazon, should arrive shortly.

But intersting thing is, when I download through Epic games store, I get a download speed of 90-110 mbps, while downloading through steam gets me around 30-40 mbps tops.

When I do a speed test through one website (Okla), I get speed of around 100-110 mbps, while doing so through Fast.com never got me above 50 mbps since these last 4-5 days, I can't pinpoint an exact bottleneck :(

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
A speed tests tells you the available bandwidth as well. A wired connection to the modem or modem/router... well if you have other devices on the network they are using that bandwidth as well.

that or the wired machine is using bandwidth while you are performing these tests. You can’t have ever device getting max mbps on the network, especially if they get most of what your bandwidth plan offers. If that happens, any automated updates or functions that require internet on these devices will use the full bandwidth, or multiple tasks being performed will split that bandwidth and then it’s just a tug of war.

the average person/device needs only 9 mbps. A QoS function on the router/modem if available gives you this ability to control what devices are getting for bandwidth. I ran 7 devices on 6 mbps total for a network. It can be done, and it’s much faster than most people that try to make opinions, fact.

4k video however, would need at least 20-25 mbps.. do the math on your devices. But I can tell you right now no one needs 1000 mbps.. no matter how professional they “claim” to be in their field of expertise.

I don't know how to boot a linux live Cd though

Then write it to a cd if your system has a cd drive. Otherwise, you can write it to a usb flash drive which is blank using rufus:

Once you have your live cd/usb, reboot your system and choose the cd/usb as the boot device using the bios boot menu. After a few minutes you will have a completely live linux OS running in ram that is completely separate from windows. Run the speed test there and see if you're okay or not.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You can also use a distro like Ubuntu to do the same thing.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

SamirD's recommendation is a great suggestion, by the way, to isolate where the issue may lie.

Reactions: SamirD