EU Could Force Apple to Put Flash on iPad, iPhone

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]And European companies are not for profit.. Your and idiot, go play with your Xbox.[/citation]

I think you may need to re-read... all corporations are about money, it's why they exist... where on earth did I say that European corporations were any different? I was pointing out the differences that governments and their legislating bodies take towards companies and their interaction with the people they govern.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]PLaystations don't have flash on there browser, So I guess under equal application of the law the EU would have to shove flash down Sony's throats too?I think if anyone stood back and looked at this for 5 secs they'd realize it's simply a power grab by the EU. All this talk of Apple and Adobe is Shortsighted.[/citation]

Notice how none of the quoted text mentions Apple specifically, or flash, the legislation is a broad base one to apply to any company operating in the EU, this whole Apple debate is pure speculation and extrapolation of the generic principles being put forward by the EU.

kerbe360

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Maybe Apple should let those in the EU have Flash only to make a point. I predict a flood of complaints to Apple asking why their iPad doesnt perform like it use to like someone calling Dell after installing LimeWire. Then they will realize why big government is just as bad as big business. Government should not dictate business (EU) as much as business should not dictate government (USA)... the people should.

They could add an easy option to turn it off for users who have problems with it or do not want it.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I read this and saw it a bit differently… one of Apple's problems with Flash was that it itself was not truly a standard, but a proprietary platform. While a bit hypocritical, reading the proposal above made me think that it would force Adobe to open up Flash since they are the exclusive proprietors of this ever-present platform. In the end though this just opens up a whole new can of worms…

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
"This is not just about Microsoft or any big company like Apple, IBM or Intel. The main challenge is that consumers need choice when it comes to software or hardware products."

Which of course sounds very much like the whole free market ideal capitalism is supposed to embrace... strange that it should come from the more balanced EU and not the ultra capitalist USA

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
It's a good day to be part of the EU, an authority that cares about the consumer when other companies tell us to not hold our items the wrong way

deathknight01

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
They could just deny Apple products to be sold in EU countries. Put a tax on their products being sold, and a great deal of other things.

Wouldn't there be a lot of negative publicity for the EU if they did that? The EU can't afford to do that or they'd probably lose power (assuming that atleast half of the european population are for Apple), this will piss off most of them off big time and only the EU can be blamed for it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]deathknight01[/nom]Wouldn't there be a lot of negative publicity for the EU if they did that? The EU can't afford to do that or they'd probably lose power (assuming that atleast half of the european population are for Apple), this will piss off most of them off big time and only the EU can be blamed for it.[/citation]

and the stupid crap they are doing now is possitive publicity? but your right only the EU can be blamed.

G

Spokesman Rejects Rumor: The EU will not Force Flash Down the Throats of Apple

http://www.technorotic.com/2010/07/spokesman-rejects-rumor-the-eu-will-not-force-flash-down-the-throats-of-apple/

Status
Not open for further replies.