Eurocom Panther 5D Notebook Review: Faster Than Your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Great for individuals that moves around often (i.e LAN parties, get togethers, etc) IF the hardware can be kept cool AND if the fan doesn't sound like a space rocket taking off. However, one will need a deep pocket to afford something like this.

@vmem "Personal Server: Please insert Credit Card to continue! $_$"

f-14

Distinguished
now this is how you're meant to play crisis 1-2-3 right by any one with an iMac.

the main people i can see needing this bad boy is division commanders on a battlefield as well as NSA hackers and CIA spies and Drone operators

I once had a Desktop Replacement laptop, huge monster that required a large AC adapter, was loud and heavy. These things are NOT portable, they are heavy to lug around and completely impractical for mobility. They are for people who, for whatever reason, do not want a desktop +monitor at their house. These are just desktops that are easier to transport around.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This seems more for bragging rights. Sure some people will NEED this... For a portable gaming system with 3 power-bricks, etc... why not get customized AIO? Or simply brink a small (SFF) case with keyboard and 20" display which would weight less? If you're gaming anyway - you'll need a mouse. The keyboard looks crappy, the numeric keypad is up against the main keys.

Lets see, a SFF setup parts:
PC: 5 = SFF-PC, keyboard, mouse, monitor, 2 power cords.
5D: 7 = 5D Panther, Mouse, 2 power cords, 3 power bricks/converter.

In return, you get a much better keyboard... then when broken, its a $10~150 replacement...

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
It may be fast, but it sure look ugly. If i compare this notebook to a car, it will be a Mitsuoka Orochi.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
At over 4X the cost of my desktop, this portable monster performs only marginally better. Were I to spend as much on a desktop I'd build a Xfired (290s) or SLId (780s) machine with 4K triple monitor (at least 27" per monitor) surround graphics. The form factor of "laptops" is too confining to compete on a level playing field with desktops.

Nice machine, but it is overbuilt for a laptop if you need external monitors to use its full graphics. Sure you can take it somewhere where you can hook it up to multiple monitors, but then it is no more portable than a desktop.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Not faster than my desktop ;)

Anyways, nice review. It's fun to read about the stupidly high end laptops that most of us don't ever see or use in real life, just to know what's possible if you go for performance over form factor.

Elrabin

Distinguished
May 1, 2013
Insane.

I understand that it's "PERFORMANCE AT THE COST OF EVERYTHING ELSE" but wow.

To put this into perspective for that $6600, you could buy a fully loaded Precision M3800 quad core i7, 3200x1800 IGZO screen, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD + 1tb HDD and a Quadro k1100m that weighs 4lbs for $2600 and still have $4k left over to build a MONSTER workstation/gaming desktop

Lets go nuts. A 4k UP2414Q Ultrasharp Monitor for $1400

Core i7 4770k $300
2 x Nvidia GTX 780ti $700 each
512gb SSD
4Tb HDD

and a full build would still come out to less than 4 grand.

I can only imagine possible military applications for this thing. If I had that kind of horsepower, I'd want a much larger screen than 17". The real problem I see with it is the same problem I see with pretty much all laptops. They're technological dead-ends because they cannot be upgraded. It's a cool thing to see what's possible but as Kurtwood Smith said in Star Trek VI: "Let us redefine progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean that we must do that thing."

I think that statement is perfectly applicable to the Panther 5D.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
This just goes to prove that given enough money to spend you can get anything you want - the question is are you paying two to three times as much as you need to.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
The dual power adapters are super Kludgey. They might as well just make a single 600+ watt supply that looks like a nuclear reactor cooling tower.

ram1009

Distinguished

Sorry, but there isn't enough money in the world to change the laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.