European Carriers Hit Out at Nokia's Lumia Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]European carrier say Nokia's line of Microsoft phones can't compete with offerings from Apple and Microsoft. edit: Samgsung[/citation]
you noted it before me, but I'm sure they meant google

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I got to play around with a Lumia 900 in the ATT store this past weekend. My first time navigating a Windows phone. Pretty slick and simplistic OS. I was surprised how "smooth" it was when navigating the menus and opening/closing apps. Made my Atrix feel like a clunky turd. Pretty efficient OS for only having a single-core processor and 512MB RAM.

I've gone from a iPhone to Android so far. I'm getting more and more interested in a Windows phone as time goes on. I could see it being my next upgrade later this year. Maybe by then the App Store will have grown a lot more.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Nokia is collapsing.

Its market share is plunging. Its share price is plunging. Ratings agency Moodys just downgraded it to almost junk. It can't break into the US phone market. And now Europe doesn't like its phones.

pneumo

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
euhm...
I don't know, but I have plenty of friends who are walking around with WP7 phones,
people who previously owned iphones and android phones.
All of them are happy with there switching.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the lumia line is just out a couple of months,
at least here in Belgium...

G

I don't trust that Reuters article. All the sources were unnamed.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah same here... My upgrade on verizon is up right now. Been waiting to see what kind of Windows phone they will pick up. As of right now I'm looking at the Razr Maxx, but, if they come up with a windows phone equal to it, I'd probably be all over it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The misleading headline giving the impression that the problem is with the Nokia hardware when the article then reveals it seems to be Microsoft's -me too- operating system.

Is Tom's getting advertising $$ from Microsoft they don't wish to risk or is it just sloppy writing ?

If I was willing to pay for a data plan (which I am not at this point) I would be all over a windows phone. My only complaint is that with the cheaper hardware the phones should cost less than other phones on the market. Quite simply, they are just as expensive, or more expensive. Sure they run just as fast as andorid and iOS on simpler hardware, but until that translates into cheaper prices they will never get anywhere.
I think the main problem here is that Windows charges too much for the OS, and has too many specific requirements for the manufacturers which is why we see so few phones with the OS. I mean look at HTC! They have ~8 new Android phones every 6 months, but only a total of 2-3 wp7 phones. Sure, a lot of that is popularity/demand, but if Windows charged a little less, and opened up their platform a little then manufacturers would be all over it.
Nokia is all Windows because all the execs there are old MS employees. Again, I like WP7, but if MS wants it to take off they are going to need more than one phone company to hock their product.

that being said, I just saw a lumia 710 today for the first time. Very impressive for a base model phone. the 900 must be something special to see in person.

pneumo

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I for one think it's a good thing there are so "little" WP7 phones out now.
I absolutely hate that there are so many different htc's with only minor differences

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]If I was willing to pay for a data plan (which I am not at this point) I would be all over a windows phone. My only complaint is that with the cheaper hardware the phones should cost less than other phones on the market. Quite simply, they are just as expensive, or more expensive. Sure they run just as fast as andorid and iOS on simpler hardware, but until that translates into cheaper prices they will never get anywhere.I think the main problem here is that Windows charges too much for the OS, and has too many specific requirements for the manufacturers which is why we see so few phones with the OS. I mean look at HTC! They have ~8 new Android phones every 6 months, but only a total of 2-3 wp7 phones. Sure, a lot of that is popularity/demand, but if Windows charged a little less, and opened up their platform a little then manufacturers would be all over it.Nokia is all Windows because all the execs there are old MS employees. Again, I like WP7, but if MS wants it to take off they are going to need more than one phone company to hock their product.that being said, I just saw a lumia 710 today for the first time. Very impressive for a base model phone. the 900 must be something special to see in person.[/citation]

On another thread, it did show that the Lumia's cost more than the iPhone to make. While they may be cheaper on some of the hardware, they are more expensive in other areas, like the screen.

It's a lot like houses in the USA. People want a fancy house, and developers know this, so they build with all the nice items in them, but to keep the costs down, they build it with the cheapest materials possible. So you get homes with great floor plans and great looking shapes, but they start to fall a part in 10 years.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Yes, I think that marketing is at least part of what they are missing. MS needs to find a marketing firm that can bring an aura of "cool" to Nokia and Windows Phone 7 - and I don't mean the Seinfeld commercial bunch.

Sadly, smart phones have become much more about 'cool' and less about what they can do. There is a good flow of positive feedback from those who have used WP 7 phones, but that doesn't sound as cool as 'We have 25 billion apps for our phone!' (Of course, 24.75 billion of those are of the fart app type, but that's not what counts.)

My wife loves her iStuff, I like my Androids, but I'd like to play around with WP 7 to see what it's like. Too bad they won't just let me borrow one for a while. Maybe Windows 8 will give me an idea of how WP 7 works.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Nokia had a factory in Hungary, with 2300 people working there. They are closing and moving it to Asia now. They got ample marketing in the news.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Sure, a lot of that is popularity/demand, but if Windows charged a little less, and opened up their platform a little then manufacturers would be all over it.[/citation]Open it up to whom? The manufacturers, so they can screw it up with their crappy UIs? The carriers, so they can load it up with non-removeable carrierware and bloatware? No thanks! I like the way WP7 is now, I especially like the fact that you can take a WP7 device and delete any preloaded apps.

If Verizon finally gets a decent WP7 device I'm definitely going to check it out. I'm hoping in a few months that a variant of the Lumia 900 will make its way to VZW.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like these phone carriers are a bit lazy. They dont want to market the products or train their staff. It sound slike they just want an easy: 'here is the lastes Iphone' or 'here is the droid phone with larger screen'. Both looksimilar.

it should not be that hard to show customers all the great WP7 features and how easy iit is to use.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have just tested out Lumia yesterday. My experience with Lumia:

1. Market place is too small

2. While the touch screen is smooth and responding, the Drawing Pad (especially the one for Chinese character input) is BAD. Not as responsive as those in Android. The sales girl kept on telling me please don't press, you have to touch very soft, you have never used a touch screen before...... :(

I would like to try GPS navigation, but unfortunately can't get it to work, because I am in door

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
people don't like windows on phone, fact is very clear.
i myself don't like windows on phone too, i even hate the windows logo on the phone. since pda era, windows had proved itself it is inferior to other offerings.

i have had enough windows on deskotp/ notebook, android on phone is good. should keep it on. windows cannot be as fun as android, as low cost as android. windows can never be as polished as ios. windows will surely be a failure.

nokia had tried their best and did some marketing at beginning of Lumia sales, emphasized the "tiles" a lot! but what's the use really? it wastes more space to me

nokia could keep falling with windows, or switch to android at once. lumia hardware with the android os will be a big hit at once.

[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]people don't like windows on phone, fact is very clear.i myself don't like windows on phone too, i even hate the windows logo on the phone. since pda era, windows had proved itself it is inferior to other offerings.i have had enough windows on deskotp/ notebook, android on phone is good. should keep it on. windows cannot be as fun as android, as low cost as android. windows can never be as polished as ios. windows will surely be a failure.nokia had tried their best and did some marketing at beginning of Lumia sales, emphasized the "tiles" a lot! but what's the use really? it wastes more space to menokia could keep falling with windows, or switch to android at once. lumia hardware with the android os will be a big hit at once.[/citation]

You seem to use fact where opinion is more correct. If you read a lot of these reviews, it would seem that those who have used Windows phones like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS