Question Every game crash at 100% GPU load. Rtx 2070

SolidSnail

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Hello! I just bought a new RTX 2070 to replace my old Gtx 970. At first it was great, but then i started suffering constant crashes in games. After short investigation i concluded that my games crash exactly when my MSI Afterburner shows 100% Gpu load. Also i don't have any visual artifacts on my screen at the moment of crash.
Here is screenshot of my MSI Afterburner at two moments of crash.
https://ibb.co/pnPtyGm

My specs:
MSI RTX 2070 Armor
16 Gb of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 with XMP and 3000 Mhz
Ryzen 5 2600 no OC
Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Windows 10 X64
Corsair CS 650 Watt PSU

The wattage is not my concern, it’s the quality. Wattage alone tells you very little about a psu, there is a huge difference between a low or high quality 650w psu. A high quality 550w would have no problem.

However the psu is just a theory at the moment, only way to be sure is trying another psu. When a gpu is at 100% is usually when a psu is under maximum load.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Surely Corsair don't make such terrible products that a PSU 100W over the recommendations can't keep up? I ran the cheapest freaking Corsair 500W PSU for 7 years and then after 7 years decided to use it to get an FX-8350 to 4.5ghz with a 1060 6GB overclocked on it too...

Corsair don’t make psu’s. They just put their label on them and yes Corsair have crap psu’s. The CS range isn’t the worst, the old CX and VS were worse, they have changed the CX lineup and it’s now better. Problem was poor quality parts and basic design. This forum is littered with threads of old CX & VS psu’s failing and in some cases damaging other components in the process.

Some of the other ranges are very good.

PSU deteriorate with usage and time, low quality psu’s deteriorate much faster. It’s still only a theory. Personally I’d never risk a gaming pc on a psu like the CS.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Haha yea I had a 500VS Corsair PSU - i could hit 4.5ghz but anything over that would crash and be unstable, still not bad though I think, pretty sure I was limited by the mobo VRM and not the PSU, might be luck of the draw