Question Every game crashing with new build Nvidia GTX 1070

Laundrysaucc

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I just completed my first build and after downloading all of the drivers for my motherboard, processor, and graphics card I tried to load Valorant and the game crashed and gave me a dialog box saying my drivers were out of date. They had a link that I followed to troubleshoot the reasons why the game may not be working, including uninstalling and reinstalling all of my graphics card/display related drivers. I tried loading other games as well and even non-demanding games crash. I kept an eye on my task manager while loading a game and in the performance tab and the graphs looked something like this photo ( View: https://imgur.com/o3Yl614
). My monitor will also go black for a few seconds when this does happen and it spikes.

For more possibly relevant info, Directx said all of my drivers are updated, I did a clean install of windows 10, the graphics card is the only used part in my computer but it was working fine a few weeks ago when my friend had it in their computer.

Specs:
PSU: Corsair SC 650M
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO: Aorus B450 Pro Wifi
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: Ripjaw 16 gigs DDR4

Sep 9, 2020
I too am having this issue. I sorted my google search on it for newer results since there is a lot of information months old (which I am assuming has been already fixed in updates). Plus, none of those recommendations are currently working.

I run an AMD 3700x, RTX 2070 super, 16gb ram, and games are continually crashing. I've updated MB bios, GPU drivers up to date, reinstalled windows fresh, uninstalled and reinstalled all games (obviously with the windows fresh install). I've even installed games on a different drive to rule out a HD issue.

Nothing is seemingly working to stop the crashing on Rainbow 6, TF2, Valorant.

Oddly, I played Counter Strike without issues. I've run Valley Benchmark to stress the system without crashing.

Not really sure what else to do other than swap the graphics card and see if the issue still persists since I am now leaning towards it being hardware than software related. I also only have on essential software at this stage.

I just find it odd, I can stress the system without crashing issues, but the games still crash themselves.

Sep 9, 2020
I think I've figured out my issue - maybe it could be yours too.

Case thermals.

While I ran the stress tests, I didn't realize my GPU was hitting basically 89C, which the cutoff limit for mine to start throttling is 83C. While gaming on Valorant and Rainbow 6 Siege last night, I was hitting 90C and could tell the games were almost crashing. Between my past post and gaming last night, I did swap out one of the case-supplied exhaust fans with a larger 140mm one which I think kept it just on the edge of shutting off/crashing the games.

Now, this morning, I changed the orientation of two of my fans, so now I have 2 intakes and 2 exhausts vs 4 exhausts. So, basically, I had a convection oven going on in my case.

Now, when I ran the stress test, the GPU is running 15-20C cooler. I'll check back after a few days and see if my games have stopped crashing.

Laundrysaucc

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I think I've figured out my issue - maybe it could be yours too.

Case thermals.

While I ran the stress tests, I didn't realize my GPU was hitting basically 89C, which the cutoff limit for mine to start throttling is 83C. While gaming on Valorant and Rainbow 6 Siege last night, I was hitting 90C and could tell the games were almost crashing. Between my past post and gaming last night, I did swap out one of the case-supplied exhaust fans with a larger 140mm one which I think kept it just on the edge of shutting off/crashing the games.

Now, this morning, I changed the orientation of two of my fans, so now I have 2 intakes and 2 exhausts vs 4 exhausts. So, basically, I had a convection oven going on in my case.

Now, when I ran the stress test, the GPU is running 15-20C cooler. I'll check back after a few days and see if my games have stopped crashing.
Sadly I don't think this is my issue :( I have really pretty good case ventilation already and I don't even think my gpu is getting the change to get hot. I ran a stress test on mine yesterday and it was 50/50 whether it would crash or stay open, but when it did stay open it usually wouldn't go over 80 degrees. I'm glad your computer is working better though!

Laundrysaucc

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Something new that I'm trying is seeing if my GPU sagging could be causing the issue. It's kind of a weirdly long graphics card and when I tried taking it out and putting it back in the left side seemed to be a lot more secure than the right. I'm just super confused at this point because all of my drivers are fully updated, I even updated my bios to see if that would make an impact. I looked at my error ID in my event viewer and my event ID 65 and error code was 87. I tried looking up that error ID and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue but I did not see a solution to the problem.

Last edited: