Question Every single game stutters...please help!

Jan 17, 2021
GTX 1080
Ryzen 2600
16gb 2 sticks of ram T-Force VulcanZ
gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard
WD black SN750 NVME 500gb

Literally every game I play has high framerates, but every 30 seconds the entire screen with freeze for a split second.
The sound however, does not stop when the video freezes.

Happens on:

• Fallout 3
  • Gears 5
  • Far Cry 5
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • Wolfenstein 2
  • Nioh
  • Bulletstorm
  • Sniper ghost warrior 2
  • Shadow warrior 2
The list just goes on. ANY 3d application this happens. Even unigen heaven benchmark THEY ALL STUTTER!!!!
Also, my GPU has extremely loud coil whine that corresponds to the stutters as well. It gets quieter for a moment with the stutters.
I thought it was my 120gb ssd, so I even went out and bought a brand new 500gb NVME, no difference.

Temps under load:
GPU: 83c
CPU: 75c

Things I have tried

Hardware:
  • Unplugging everything except mouse and keyboard
  • Different HDMI cable
  • Different wall outlet
  • Different PSU
  • Different CPU of same model (ryzen 2600)
  • Differet motherboard
  • Different Hard drives, SSD, Brand new SSD NVME
  • Different monitor, DVI
  • Different graphics card (Gtx 760)
  • Unplug USB 3.0 case front panel from motherboard
Software:
  • Reinstall windows many times, default settings, fully up to date.
  • Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off
  • Vsync on, vsync off
  • Nvidia settings 'Low latency mode'
  • XMP on, XMP off.
  • Windows 10 location settings off
  • Windows 10 offline account
  • Ryzen chipset drivers, and without ryzen chipset drivers
  • Latest nvidia driver / Default Windows update driver 432
  • All background programs off. Steam offline mode.
  • All sorts of power plan settings
  • Xbox game bar off
If I use a program like MSi afterburner , and look at frame timings, with vsync on you can see what it should look like with the solid bar, but often with the stutters you get the huge spikes.

examples:

3PGbyqp.png

BTkkbJC.png

What I want: Solid straight line with no hitching/stuttering/hiccups.

What do I do? Do I just need to replace every single component until it stops stuttering? Whats the culprit here?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
Another screenshot of Fallout 3 stuttering. Tried WITH my Gtx 1080 AND!!! my Gtx 760. STUTTER ON BOTH GRAPHICS CARD ...

I don't care what i have to do, what i have to buy, etc, Just help me to figure out what I need to do to make games smooth frametime!!!

unknown.png

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
Just tried one stick of ram, different GPU, etc, NOTHING HELPS

Look at my frametime on this pic! Its awful! keep in mind, its basically like this for All games ... ive basically replaced my entire PC at this point. what gives?

unknown.png

Jan 17, 2021
more attempt:

went into bios and changed clockspeed manually to 3400mhz, 1.2 volt turned off Cool n quiet, turned off global C state. still stutters. is it possible the electricity in my house is not proper 'dirty electricity' or 'dirty power' and this can cause microstuttering? would buying a UPS solve this? doubtful ... but i dont know what else to think of..

unknown.png

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
If you have tried 2x totally different GPU's, it is NOT the GPU's...

It could be all sorts of things that you have not looked at, and some are very problematic to identify.!

Do you have a separate SSD to do a clean W10 install on to.?

If so, do that, and install the bare minimum, e.g. drivers, disable W10 automatic updates, install Steam, point Steam at your WD black SN750 NVME 500gb drive and you don't have to download the games to try them.

If you don't have a spare SSD, then use an old HDD, or buy / borrow one. Believe me, this could easily be a software issue that could take an age to diagnose (and may not be fixable anyway).