Question Every single game stutters...please help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 17, 2021
GTX 1080
Ryzen 2600
16gb 2 sticks of ram T-Force VulcanZ
gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard
WD black SN750 NVME 500gb

Literally every game I play has high framerates, but every 30 seconds the entire screen with freeze for a split second.
The sound however, does not stop when the video freezes.

Happens on:

• Fallout 3
  • Gears 5
  • Far Cry 5
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • Wolfenstein 2
  • Nioh
  • Bulletstorm
  • Sniper ghost warrior 2
  • Shadow warrior 2
The list just goes on. ANY 3d application this happens. Even unigen heaven benchmark THEY ALL STUTTER!!!!
Also, my GPU has extremely loud coil whine that corresponds to the stutters as well. It gets quieter for a moment with the stutters.
I thought it was my 120gb ssd, so I even went out and bought a brand new 500gb NVME, no difference.

Temps under load:
GPU: 83c
CPU: 75c

Things I have tried

Hardware:
  • Unplugging everything except mouse and keyboard
  • Different HDMI cable
  • Different wall outlet
  • Different PSU
  • Different CPU of same model (ryzen 2600)
  • Differet motherboard
  • Different Hard drives, SSD, Brand new SSD NVME
  • Different monitor, DVI
  • Different graphics card (Gtx 760)
  • Unplug USB 3.0 case front panel from motherboard
Software:
  • Reinstall windows many times, default settings, fully up to date.
  • Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off
  • Vsync on, vsync off
  • Nvidia settings 'Low latency mode'
  • XMP on, XMP off.
  • Windows 10 location settings off
  • Windows 10 offline account
  • Ryzen chipset drivers, and without ryzen chipset drivers
  • Latest nvidia driver / Default Windows update driver 432
  • All background programs off. Steam offline mode.
  • All sorts of power plan settings
  • Xbox game bar off
If I use a program like MSi afterburner , and look at frame timings, with vsync on you can see what it should look like with the solid bar, but often with the stutters you get the huge spikes.

examples:

3PGbyqp.png

BTkkbJC.png

What I want: Solid straight line with no hitching/stuttering/hiccups.

What do I do? Do I just need to replace every single component until it stops stuttering? Whats the culprit here?

Last edited:

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
What speed is your ram running at? Userbenchmark says 1600Mhz but that can't be right.

DDR is literally Double Data Rate, it's actual MHz is half the speed that everyone knows and uses, some apps list the actual MHz other list the DDR number, I am not familiar with "userbenchmark" but CPU-Z and other apps list the actual MHz. e.g. mine: 1696.6 MHz - so annoying that lots of motherboards do not clock at the exact round numbers that we expect (this comes from the 99.8MHz "base" Bus speed used by my Asus board).

Jan 17, 2021
when using the program latency monitor, the bar jumps from 20 sometimes to 60-100 back and forth. is this normal or an indication of the problem?

see the first bar at 15 in the pic, sometimes it will jump to 60 or 90 every 10 seconds or so, on completely idle desktop. is that normal?

tidFAN9.png

D

Deleted member 14196

when using the program latency monitor, the bar jumps from 20 sometimes to 60-100 back and forth. is this normal or an indication of the problem?

see the first bar at 15 in the pic, sometimes it will jump to 60 or 90 every 10 seconds or so, on completely idle desktop. is that normal?

tidFAN9.png

Post the results of latency monitor. You have driver issues. Do you use driver booster or any other stupid utility that updates your drivers because if you do this is your problem

Jan 17, 2021
yes ive reinstalled windows 10 from USB complete clean format a few different times

Post the results of latency monitor. You have driver issues. Do you use driver booster or any other stupid utility that updates your drivers because if you do this is your problem

how should I post the latencymon results? just run the program for 10 minutes on desktop then copy paste whats in the 'stats' tab? ok i will do that, no i didnt use any weird ways of getting drivers or updates. this is a brand new windows 10 install from a few days ago, just did windows update and nvidia driver download.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
yes ive reinstalled windows 10 from USB complete clean format a few different times

this is a brand new windows 10 install from a few days ago, just did windows update and nvidia driver download.

Interesting... Seems that this is a real puzzle.!

Just to follow up on the software side of things, when you did a clean install, did you install any Antivirus, Firewall or other "security" software before testing, as these are by far the most problematic software.

Final question about the software, have you tried games that do not require internet access to use as it could be an intermittent network/internet glitch, onboard LAN/WiFi can be disabled in the BIOS.

Have you disconnected all unnecessary external peripherals, leaving just the power, keyboard, mouse and monitor attached as well as any internal drives that are not required.? I ask this because in a professional capacity I have seen a faulty DVD drive cause weird problems (several second long freezes) just by being attached, likewise a faulty printer, a USB HDD and even a faulty keyboard.

It seems that you have tested virtually everything that can be tested other than these things.

Someone else asked about the BIOS situation. I would also add, have you done a Memtest for a few minutes.? I would usually suggest 12-hours minimum, but your problem would show up within seconds/minutes, this is very unlikely the issue anyway as you would also have program crashes and other problems constantly.

With all of that ruled out, pretty much the only thing remaining is the Motherboard.

Motherboards by their nature are virtually impossible to test when it is such a bizarre issue as yours, the way I always test a motherboard is to test everything else in a different board.

Good luck (y)

Jan 17, 2021
i changed motherboards already lol! i have an Asrock B450M Pro4 now hahahaha

part of me wants to think im just too OCD with this, but at the same time i can objectively show you frametime graphs of all these games randomly hitching and freezing so what gives? ill post the latencymon results soon.

is it actually possible for a house to have such bad wiring/electricity that it causes this sort of issue? i doubt it .. right?

Jan 17, 2021
heres latencymon while playing Gears 5 does this mean anything?

ct4XyGK.png

_
CONCLUSION
_
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:13:12 (h🇲🇲ss) on all processors.

_
SYSTEM INFORMATION
_
Computer name: DESKTOP-SM44EF0
OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware: To Be Filled By O.E.M., To Be Filled By O.E.M.
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Logical processors: 12
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16316 MB total

_
CPU SPEED
_
Reported CPU speed: 3394 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

_
MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
_
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 531.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 6.041561

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 526.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2.92020

_
REPORTED ISRs
_
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 376.233942
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.300701
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.316479

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 2868833
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 873
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED DPCs
_
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 562.833235
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.204931
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.573230

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 7196008
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 849
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
_
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: explorer.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 804
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 222
Number of processes hit: 35

_
PER CPU DATA
_
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 81.183978
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 376.233942
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 28.528774
CPU 0 ISR count: 1255502
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 562.833235
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 32.650019
CPU 0 DPC count: 5349487
_
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 35.221275
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 246.685327
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 1.156477
CPU 1 ISR count: 1156658
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 518.054213
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 21.261747
CPU 1 DPC count: 1766654
_
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.831026
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 15.787861
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.005227
CPU 2 ISR count: 3376
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 264.596936
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.159748
CPU 2 DPC count: 10722
_
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.727144
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 153.360636
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.017360
CPU 3 DPC count: 5103
_
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.748324
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 176.461402
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.021768
CPU 4 DPC count: 7117
_
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.57090
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 81.083088
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.008274
CPU 5 DPC count: 2916
_
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.896781
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 189.955215
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.031813
CPU 6 DPC count: 8115
_
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.814689
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 323.921626
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.013168
CPU 7 DPC count: 2779
_
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.295972
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs): 18.943430
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s): 0.300083
CPU 8 ISR count: 353603
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs): 246.344726
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s): 0.128141
CPU 8 DPC count: 22224
_
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.992266
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs): 18.302298
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s): 0.008569
CPU 9 ISR count: 7752
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs): 191.287566
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s): 0.015883
CPU 9 DPC count: 3235
_
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.340337
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs): 20.395993
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s): 0.019817
CPU 10 ISR count: 18207
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs): 244.210961
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s): 0.077642
CPU 10 DPC count: 8600
_
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.951564
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs): 20.265763
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s): 0.077634
CPU 11 ISR count: 74608
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs): 266.309959
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s): 0.127577
CPU 11 DPC count: 9905
_

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
is it actually possible for a house to have such bad wiring/electricity that it causes this sort of issue? i doubt it .. right?

No, you would have all sorts of problems rather than just this caused by "dirty electricity".!

I have had another thought before we get onto the really rare stuff, have you tried a different HDMI / DP cable.? And also have you tried reseting the monitor to "factory defaults" as some monitors can experience problems as they essentially have built in overclocking options that can be turned on. I don't expect that either of these would cause these random spikes, but considering everything else you have done already, they are easy to try.

As for the really rare stuff, it is possible that you have a dodgy CPU, however in my experience there are well over 150 faulty motherboards for every faulty CPU (and that includes a batch of faulty CPU's, of which I encountered a couple), so in reality it is well over 200-1, otherwise you have a ghost in the machine.!

Also, did you try my previous glut of suggestions.?

Jan 17, 2021
yea tried a different monitor and cpu lol , tried different motherboard. didnt do a memtest yet. does anyone know anything about latencymon and can check the last pic i sent for anything unusual? thx

Jan 17, 2021
well im starting to think its something to do with windows or everyone has these problems and dont care as much as me , because it happens on Two different computers. the huge frametime spikes i see in Gears 5, fallout 3, and other games also appear on another computer. i dont think everyone has these problems so what could it be

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
well im starting to think its something to do with windows or everyone has these problems and dont care as much as me , because it happens on Two different computers. the huge frametime spikes i see in Gears 5, fallout 3, and other games also appear on another computer. i dont think everyone has these problems so what could it be

Have you tested with games that do not require internet access and then disabling your NIC and WiFi in the BIOS.?

I have a lame internet connection and have, pauses, jumps and of course disconnections, zero issues on offline games.

LapizTheRelic

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Hey Im also currently having the same problem Ive replaced all the parts in my pc including the case and it still persists its so annoying and Im running out of ideas and money hopefully we can figure out a solution

Mar 22, 2021
I’ve had the same problem since November last year. I replaced the gpu for a 3070 and stutters began, so obviously would think it was the new gpu causing them, I then replaced it with a RX 6800 and issue continued so was left confused... I then progressed to replace EVERY single part one by one doing process of elimination however I literally replaced everything and it still continued. So after this I decided to build another brand new pc with a 5600x 3060ti and the exact same issues of frame time spikes and stutters continued. So I thought maybe I was being an idiot and was doing something wrong so I bought a pre built pc of high spec yet again... same issue again! Doesn’t matter what game, online or offline they’d all have frame time spikes of different severities but it would always be there.

Seeing as I’ve gone through 4 pcs and 100+hrs troubleshooting over the months it’s safe to say it’s not hardware related, it’s not peripheral related because I done clean installs of windows using all different peripherals so it just leaves the electricity as the common denominator. I did test 1 of the pcs having issues in a different house and the issues were still there so my current thought process is that my electricity is corrupting a part or parts to the point where they wouldn’t work on a different supply of electricity anyways.

I’m carrying out the next step this week which is another new pc, a new monitor, new cables, new keyboard and mouse and taking it to a different house straight away paired with a power conditioning surge protector to test and not even attempting at mine. If it works fine I’ll then be taking it home to use and however like I said it’ll be also paired with the power conditioner etc in the hopes this cleans up the electricity before it hits my pc not even giving it the chance to ruin it. If it does continue to run smooth at mine I’ll reconnect my original peripherals one by one just to be sure for the 0.01% chance they somehow contributed to the issue.

This issue just doesn’t make sense and anyone I speak to is baffled. The same week before any of these issues when I initially upgraded and had stutters I also had a power outage... so issues have been happening since that week and now hopefully close to getting to the bottom of it, however after everything I have done... it has to be electrical transients or voltage spikes ruining the sensitive components. The electrical suppliers have also fitted a voltage regulator in my house and I’ll get results next week.

LapizTheRelic

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I’ve had the same problem since November last year. I replaced the gpu for a 3070 and stutters began, so obviously would think it was the new gpu causing them, I then replaced it with a RX 6800 and issue continued so was left confused... I then progressed to replace EVERY single part one by one doing process of elimination however I literally replaced everything and it still continued. So after this I decided to build another brand new pc with a 5600x 3060ti and the exact same issues of frame time spikes and stutters continued. So I thought maybe I was being an idiot and was doing something wrong so I bought a pre built pc of high spec yet again... same issue again! Doesn’t matter what game, online or offline they’d all have frame time spikes of different severities but it would always be there.

Seeing as I’ve gone through 4 pcs and 100+hrs troubleshooting over the months it’s safe to say it’s not hardware related, it’s not peripheral related because I done clean installs of windows using all different peripherals so it just leaves the electricity as the common denominator. I did test 1 of the pcs having issues in a different house and the issues were still there so my current thought process is that my electricity is corrupting a part or parts to the point where they wouldn’t work on a different supply of electricity anyways.

I’m carrying out the next step this week which is another new pc, a new monitor, new cables, new keyboard and mouse and taking it to a different house straight away paired with a power conditioning surge protector to test and not even attempting at mine. If it works fine I’ll then be taking it home to use and however like I said it’ll be also paired with the power conditioner etc in the hopes this cleans up the electricity before it hits my pc not even giving it the chance to ruin it. If it does continue to run smooth at mine I’ll reconnect my original peripherals one by one just to be sure for the 0.01% chance they somehow contributed to the issue.

This issue just doesn’t make sense and anyone I speak to is baffled. The same week before any of these issues when I initially upgraded and had stutters I also had a power outage... so issues have been happening since that week and now hopefully close to getting to the bottom of it, however after everything I have done... it has to be electrical transients or voltage spikes ruining the sensitive components. The electrical suppliers have also fitted a voltage regulator in my house and I’ll get results next week.
Please let me know how it goes I’ve been pulling my hair out with this issue since last October this is my first Pc and I’ve already replaced all the parts once I don’t have this kind of money replacing parts and I really don’t want to go back to console gaming

Mar 22, 2021

Could you let me/us know what components you use and used in previous builds when you experienced the stutters? I'm also facing this issue and I'm trying to find the common ground between me and other people with similar issues.