EVGA Cools GTX 980 With Hybrid Closed-Loop Water Cooler

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

And I am telling you are they are measured differently. You aren't measuring core temperature directly on FX processors, you are measuring the package temperature (the temperature of each dual core module) and some offset value AMD has set. Also the reason the core temperature measurement doesn't work very well at idle temperatures.

On Intel you are measuring the junction temperature. This is as close as you can get to the actual CPU cores and thus the higher temperatures.

dstarr3

Distinguished

The only thing on the horizon is the 980 Ti. Which is going to be around $600-$700, which is too much. And at Christmas, the 980 is going to be so cheap, there will be no reason to not get it then.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The 290x was never a GTX980 competitor , it was against 780 / Ti . And it`s only your fault that you got a reference cooler card, same applies to Nvidia though they have better reference coolers but not ideal. I have a 290 oc Vapor-x that is dead silent (never uses more than 40% of it`s fan speed) and i game between 72-75°C in normal days , tops out at 80°C on very hot summer days.

Thats nice, but again, thats NOT a reference card. Since you were ripping Nvidia for having warm-running 980s, you need an apples-to-apples comparison, and much like your custom Vapor-X, the third party 980 coolers beat the reference ones, which BTW, those reference 980 coolers still run much cooler than the reference 290x.

And the 980 is the 290x closest competitor, because by the time the 390 is actually in stock for you to buy in newegg, Nvidia will probably be on their first Maxwell revision, 980Ti or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.