EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Asus GTX 970?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I have read a TON of reviews and watched ton of videos. More and more i do it it seems to get more complicated. I havent read a lot about EVGA though since everybody seems to have huge hype over ASUS and MSI.
Now here is the question. Which GTX 970 is better overclocker? Asking which performs best is useless since they all use same chip.

I heard lot of good things about Gigabytes version. Personally its in my shopping list at the moment for couple of reasons. I have seen good overclocks with it (1500mhz+) and it runs extremely cool. Although i have hear bad things like fans wearing out very quickly and generaly not so good build quality.

MSI Twin Frozr has got ton of attention however i havent seen any good overclocks and temperatures are bit lower

Same goes for ASUS Strix. Generally its highly popular but i have heard that it runs hot and you cant overclock it as well as u can others.

And generally nothing much about EVGA.

Can some GPU expert explain these rumours to me and tell me if they are true or not, especially if Gigabytes fans will die fast?

Tnx.

Solution
Was in the same boat but went a bit fanboy'ish towards MSI :) I did, however, do my homework and will tell you what I was sold on:
Was considering only MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte. I was never convinced to other brands, partially because they are hard to get in my country, partially because I am just used to those 3 brands, so EVDA, PALIT, ZOTAC and other - I wasnt even considering them.

so, stuff that I read and were important deciding factors for me:

Gigabyte
+ coolest on full load, has backplate, OC the best, has LED logo if you fancy stuff like that
- the longest of them all, bit more noisier, no fan-stop technology, more expensive than other 2, rumours about seaizing fans on previous windforce coolers, ugly (subjective opinion :)...

mastergup

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

no problem with coil wine here and a great overclocker mine is 1294 on the core, boost over 1500 and 2003 on the memory.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Now that u mention coil whine i am maybe going with Gigabyte. How many of MSI 970 samples have coil whine? I personally will have Corsair Obsidian 450D case so i guess gigabyte will fit in my case so i can go with any 970 there is. OMG why this has to be so hard?

WHAT IS BETTER AND SAFER AND BETTER OC? TELL ME

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

I think get MSI then. Asus maybe offers better luck of the draw but MSI got better looks and performance.

maxtex

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
I think this is also due to the fact this is MSI's first (high-end) card with the semi-passive cooling design, so these might be teething problems. Asus had pretty similer problems with their first Strix (which was the 6GB 780), as i recall some cards were very noisy while perhaps others were ok. Since then all the other Strix cards have been much better, as far as i know, and you hardly hear any problems with their 970 now either..

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
It is not luck.... MSI CARD ARE DEFECTIVE, please read the MSI official website before giving away false hopes :)

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0

Quoting a MSI moderator

Re: MSI GTX 970 fan issue
« Reply #100 on: Today at 19:48:06 »
MSI is aware of this issue. And I hope they will do something about this, otherwise this series or this card will be their failure, at least for the first week/s since release. :undecided:

I can't say anything about this,apart from the fact I feel sorry for you and obviously I'd be frustrated like you being unable to use the card normally. My luck is I never went for just released series of GPU/motherboards.

end of...

h3llfire741

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Mine hasn't even shipped yet. I'm seeing a lot of threads with MSI fan problems so I might just cancel the order and change it to ASUS or GIGABYTE. Though MSI does have the better performance and cooling so I'm a little iffy about canceling it.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Oh this is making it so hard. Currently i can wait while my store gets the cards but when they get them i need to know or they will be sold out.

I dont know when or how will MSI fix their fan issue. Maybe its the hardware itself or maybe BIOS thing.

Only thing that is keeping me from buying Gigabyte now is i heard they arent that reliable and that their fans die fast. Can anybody confirm or bust this roumor?

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Can anybody tell me if there are any defects for Gigabyte model?

As far as i can tell there arent. Length and loudness of sound doesnt bother me. I want my card to last long with good performance.

I heard Gigabyte cards have dying fans and they are not so good card manufacturers, is that true? especially dying fans part.

Because as far as i see now Gigabyte is best OC and performance and no defects.

HELP PLS ANSWER.

Dazinek

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Every company will have the selection of dud cards. Its the matter of luck if you get the dud card or not.

If your case can supply the gigabyte, get the gigabyte. Go with your gut, otherwise you will have buyers remorse.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
'Go with your gut, otherwise you will have buyers remorse.'
BEST advice I've heard in a long time.
My gut told me ASUS, I went with MSI and regret it. I could go with another MSI, but if it has any of the issues people have been reporting I will hate myself.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

I think my gut is confused. I am afraid to go with MSI now. Maybe i should really get Gigabyte card. Anyways i can return my card within 30 days if i want so yeah... I am probably going with gigabyte.

maxtex

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Well I did read some people had issues with the fans too, i believe on the msi forum, and they were gonna try fix that with a bios update. Tho not sure if that could also fix coil whine, although it might..

My asus' delivery was of course delayed again yesterday, but it today it'll arrive for sure, in just a couple of hours so i'm uber excited ^^
I will report later on how it goes :)

Alex Kelly

Honorable
I'm stuck. Even though I have a good PSU, EVGA G2, I have a feeling it might be causing the coil whine. HWmonitor tells me the motherboard is only getting 11.1v on the 12V rail, which is way too low. The PSU loudly ticks whenever I power my system on, too. What do you guys think? Ugh.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

That might be the case. I am no expert in that but i it might be the case.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Can somebody explain why people go for ASUS when Gigabyte is way better choice if you dont want MSI?

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

i mean i think Gigabyte could do that too considering size of heatsink, but they wanted the coolest architecture