News EVGA Says RTX 3080 Cap Issues Caused Crashes, Confirms Stability Issues

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In under a week, it's gone from:
"It's the 'POSCAPS'!", to
"Overclocking makes things unstable!" <- Who knew?
"It's early driver bugs." Well, what to expect with a brand new architecture? Early adopter tax.
To that 2nd bit, it appears some people are in arms because their 3080 can't hit a certain number! :kikou:
"Oh noez! Someone's 2080Ti is running at 2050mhz, my 3080 is running at 1890mhz, but it's still faster than the former!"
Huh? So some people are mad because of a number... e-peen strikes again.

Then again, LN2 benchmarkers are running over 2000mhz - but I don't know whether those are valid or not, due to how short they are.
One thing I know that separates the 2 is temperature; perhaps neither the FE or AIB models can sustain the magic 2ghz+ without crashing due to this?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
This is rather funny since EVGA is confirming it. Evga should know a bad cap when they see one given how long they use junk ones and still to this day refuse to acknowledge it one everything but there old AMD boards lol.:ROFLMAO:

hannibal

Distinguished
One more test to show that the sp-caps Are not the Main factor in here!
De8auer did test this very pedantly and did only get 30hz more by using better ceramics instead of normal sp-caps... aka nothing, unless the game boost just above that 30hz tresshold!
so rushed release and too Little time to aib partners to test!

View: https://youtu.be/ud6NrbJllzk

So as JarredWaldon did say above... these kind of things has happened in releases Also earlier and most likely we see bad behaviour in the releases Also in the future! Pity but true.

Reactions: sizzling
Sep 28, 2020
One more test to show that the sp-caps Are not the Main factor in here!
De8auer did test this very pedantly and did only get 30hz more by using better ceramics instead of normal sp-caps... aka nothing, unless the game boost just above that 30hz tresshold!
so rushed release and too Little time to aib partners to test!
Id wait and see what others find when they start playing with caps and other mods on the cards. People that don't have gobs of sponsors and what not.😉

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019

Wow, this person soldered it's own capacitors ! i didn't know it was possible by hand on a such complex piece of harware
that's some extreme tuning here lol

Reactions: hannibal
Sep 28, 2020
Wow, this person soldered it's own capacitors ! i didn't know it was possible by hand on a such complex piece of harware
that's some extreme tuning here lol
Honestly it's not that hard for someone that solders regularly. The caps wile smallish are not the smallest ones out there. I'm sure he knows his way around the iron given his extream benchmarking background.

Reactions: hannibal

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
EVGA is known for building crap NVidia boards. Their GTX 900 series has VRMs that catch fire, they didn't even bother to heatsink them. For this reason, I won't buy their crap anymore. It's 2020. A top tier producer like them should be doing things right from the start and not selling junk anymore. Who are they? Raidmax? On the other hand there are manufacturers that have come a long way and are now selling better quality stuff after being known for packaging and selling worthless junk. Raidmax, Apevia...they're actually selling some rebranded quality PSUs now.

Reactions: Austin86