News EVGA Says RTX 3080 Cap Issues Caused Crashes, Confirms Stability Issues

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
thanks for the article

can you please add a paragraph to explain what is a POPCAP, what is a MLCCs and why it is superior ?
also it could be important to identify the best PCB designs. more work for Bulzoid/Gamer nexus !

Reactions: gg83 and ravewulf

InvalidError

Titan
can you please add a paragraph to explain what is a POPCAP, what is a MLCCs and why it is superior ?
PoSCap are solid polymer caps.

They are neither superior nor inferior, they just cover a different range (DC-10MHz) of the power supply filtering spectrum.

Different size capacitors are most effective across different ranges of the spectrum due to their packaging's intrinsic ESL. Once you pass a given capacitor's self-resonance frequency, it becomes more of an inductor than capacitor and stops contributing to supply filtering, which is why you see clusters of 3-5 different size caps to provide uniform coverage where smaller caps pick up at frequencies where the large caps become less effective.

The POSCAPs likely had too much total ESL to maintain sufficiently flat filtering until the next cap size down could pick up, so the GPU voltage got too noisy for stable operation beyond 2GHz on cards with no intermediate-size MLCCs between the POSCAPs and the rest.

Beginners' mistake as far as high speed circuit design is concerned.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
PoSCap are solid polymer caps.

They are neither superior nor inferior, they just cover a different range (DC-10MHz) of the power supply filtering spectrum.

Different size capacitors are most effective across different ranges of the spectrum due to their packaging's intrinsic ESL. Once you pass a given capacitor's self-resonance frequency, it becomes more of an inductor than capacitor and stops contributing to supply filtering, which is why you see clusters of 3-5 different size caps to provide uniform coverage where smaller caps pick up at frequencies where the large caps become less effective.

The POSCAPs likely had too much total ESL to maintain sufficiently flat filtering until the next cap size down could pick up, so the GPU voltage got too noisy for stable operation beyond 2GHz on cards with no intermediate-size MLCCs between the POSCAPs and the rest.

Beginners' mistake as far as high speed circuit design is concerned.
This is a much better technical explanation of the issue. The video I posted is more of a pop-up book with pretty pictures version of the explanation.

Reactions: gg83

CandiceJoy

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
That's great an all, but I have an MSI Ventus...it's got 5 POSCAPs and 10 MLCCs, but it still has this issue, so it's clearly at least not the ONLY issue.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That's great an all, but I have an MSI Ventus...it's got 5 POSCAPs and 10 MLCCs, but it still has this issue, so it's clearly at least not the ONLY issue.

The FE Edition has 4 POSCAPS and two groups of MLCCs

see this

5fbn4FRvScnIszaK.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice

Igor's Lab also said in their video that this issue with the caps is the glaring, smack you in the face problem but that others are almost certainly to do with driver inbstability. At the bleeding edge of tech.....as a consumer you will certainly bleed !!!!

I think Igor translates his write-ups with Goggle translator:ROFLMAO:so even though I'm Irish es ist gut das ich auch ein bisschen Deutsch kann 🆒

Reactions: Gussv

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
well , if used as is , the FE models wont crash because they stay below 2Ghz OC , but if water cooled and OCed to higher levels , it is still not clear.

That's <Mod Edit>, the FE also clocks above 2 Ghz with the stock boost ..... 1710 Mhz is the guaranteed base clock but it will still go over 2 Ghz if the power and temperature allows it ..... Go looks at the reviews and you'll see many examples of the FE going over 2 Ghz stock if the conditions are right ..... and even more examples when they overclock it manually in Afterburner .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people having issues at stock speeds for their AIB cards? I can understand upset if this happens at stock but if it only happens when overclocking then this is a non issue as overclocking headroom is never guaranteed. I don’t want to jinx it but so far I have had no issues with my 3080 Gigabyte Gaming OC and seeing some occasional boosting over 2000mhz on stock voltages.

Mar 28, 2020
thanks for the article

also it could be important to identify the best PCB designs. more work for Bulzoid/Gamer nexus !
bulldzoid has already made a video talking about that , and he was screaming " the used capasitors isn't POSCAPs " Lol , the last card to use POSCAPs is the GTX590 :p

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That's <Mod Edit>, the FE also clocks above 2 Ghz with the stock boost ..... 1710 Mhz is the guaranteed base clock but it will still go over 2 Ghz if the power and temperature allows it ..... Go looks at the reviews and you'll see many examples of the FE going over 2 Ghz stock if the conditions are right ..... and even more examples when they overclock it manually in Afterburner .....

Why are you calling my words <Mod Edit for language> while it is Tomsardware words ? and I quoted their opinion ?

Nvidia's own RTX 3080 FE models, which only reach 1.71 GHz, aren't impacted by the crashes.

Last edited by a moderator: