EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2 not powerful enough for XFX R9 390?

Woolly123

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my XFX R9 390 where it crashes in just about every game I have tried to play. The only games that will load without crashing are Doom, Star Wars Battlefront, and the Battlefield 4 Test Range. I am experiencing this problem when the game first loads. It loads for about 3-4 seconds and then the game freezes. It hasn't locked the computer completely but it freezes the game. I bought it from Bestbuy and had issues with it so I exchanged it for another one. The second one is having the same issue as the first one. Before I bought the 390, I was using a 750ti and it ran fantastic.

Methods I have used to try and fix the problem:
1. Unistall Nvidia and AMD drivers using UDD and reinstalling all new drivers
2. Installed older drivers
3. Increasing both mV and Power Limit
4. Put 390 in another PCI-E lane
5. Called XFX

Does anyone have any idea why this crashing might be happening and if my PSU wattage is to blame?

System Specs:
I5-6600k
Corsair H100i V2
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 6
16GB G. Skill TridentZ 3200
XFX R9 390
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2

Thank you everyone for your help

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
No thepower supply is not the issue ( well it could be defective which is highly unlikely on that model but it's plenty strong) what speed are your cpu and memory running at? Didn't look but is that a factory oc card? Slow it down a tad?

Woolly123

Commendable
May 24, 2016

The cpu is running at it's stock speed of 3.5 Ghz and the memory is running at 3200 Mhz. The card is overclocked by 15 Mhz by XFX to 1015 Mhz. Do you think slowing it down a might help?

Woolly123

Commendable
May 24, 2016

I may give it a shot tomorrow. Even if it did work though I would still not want to use it because I want to overclock it. There has to be some reason why it's freezing games, I've been all over the internet trying to figure it out.

Woolly123

Commendable
May 24, 2016

The other thing too is that once the game is loaded, the card runs perfectly fine. It's just loading the game is where the problem is.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds suspiciously like a driver issue. If you have nvidia orphans (leftovers in your registry) it's entirely possible the pc is getting confused, and crashing. Normal, simple uninstalls don't remove many registry times, just the files.

Woolly123

Commendable
May 24, 2016

How would I go about deleting those? I was using DDU to uninstall all of the drivers.