Terpinator

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I am banging my head against the wall with an issue with a user here. She lives in Excel and she can do whatever she wants with formulas, macros, and everything else with zero issue. The problem is whenever she tries to highlight columns/rows, Excel freezes and stops responding. We have tried Office 16 and Office 10 and they both have the same issue. We have updated the computer/software, ran the repair, reinstalled, added RAM, tried the printer trick setting it to MS XPS, disabled hardware acceleration and the issue persists. It is limited to just this user's computer.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Solution
My gut feel is that some library that excel calls on that is common to other programs has had something overwritten by an installation that is not as compatible as it should be, when you reinstall Excel, it checks, sees a newer version and so does nothing.

In my case they were imaging machines as opposed to installing them and so the problem was always there.
Not helpful but it reminds of a client I worked at, I was told 'Excel is a bit crashy here' I shrugged, thought user error (they weren't great with Excel), and then started to encounter problems I'd never seen before in Excel. Specifically about 40% of the time that I tried to edit the title in a graph it would just crash. Reinstall didn't help. To this day no idea what went wrong.

Terpinator

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Not helpful but it reminds of a client I worked at, I was told 'Excel is a bit crashy here' I shrugged, thought user error (they weren't great with Excel), and then started to encounter problems I'd never seen before in Excel. Specifically about 40% of the time that I tried to edit the title in a graph it would just crash. Reinstall didn't help. To this day no idea what went wrong.

Yeah I am leaning towards just setting up a new machine for her and blowing up the current one.

My gut feel is that some library that excel calls on that is common to other programs has had something overwritten by an installation that is not as compatible as it should be, when you reinstall Excel, it checks, sees a newer version and so does nothing.

In my case they were imaging machines as opposed to installing them and so the problem was always there.

Solution