[SOLVED] .explorer crashes whenever I select a photo file

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillysoraya

Reputable
May 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

So my computer has gone a bit mad today. It started doing this sporadically last night, but today is doing it every time despite restarting, and is really affecting my general computer usage.

If I go into a folder with a photo file in e.g. a .jpg and left click it (not open etc just simply select it), Windows Explorer crashes, then restarts. It also does this when I go into a folder with photos and try to change the sort-by option. This is happening in more than one specific folder and to many files. It doesn't mind if I select a .jpg from my desktop though.

In fact, after taking these screenshots of my action centre reliability monitor below using the snip tool, snip crashed every single time, after saving the file.

I also re-installed my Nvidia graphics driver even though it was the most up to date driver already although I did a complete clean re-install, and have done virus scans.

I can upload more screenshots from the reliability monitor if needed, or anything else that might be helpful just let me know.

I really appreciate any insight you guys might have, as even after googling I'm at a complete loss.

View: https://imgur.com/a/vcYzCDe

Solution
I believe it had nothing to do with PSU or NVIDIA drivers. Windows Explorer crash on particular file type almost always is caused by crashed routine (in other DLL or EXE file) who gather information about file and return it to Explorer. Sometimes these DLLs are buggy themselves. Sometimes they refer to other DLLs which are buggy or are absent in system (that is about why some software require to install all those hideous VC++ redistributables and similar libraries together with them). Sometimes malware pretend to be real thing only to infect files on which you pointing with a mouse. Because it often doesn't return file information in proper way, Explorer crash.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or perhaps even and informational event that corresponds with each failure/crash.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

I noted in your screen shot that Installed Physical Memory is 8.00 GB. However only 4.18 GB is available.

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what may be taking up a great deal of memory.

sillysoraya

Reputable
May 17, 2020
Malware and virus scans didn't show anything dodgy.

svchost seems to be taking up a lot of my memory in task manager, 235,664k. If not chrome is the next biggest user.

What other specs do I need to add in aside from what's in the first two screenshots?

Looking through the reliability history and event viewer, yesterday there was only a few 'critical events'. However today there was like 100 as it errored every time I went near a jpg or did anything in those folders. Yesterday it was more sporadic with it.

I thought it had fixed itself earlier as it stopped. But then it suddenly started again when I tried to order a folder of photos by date.

Looking through the most recent reliability history events which have a 'view technical details' option, it mentions a fault with module name 'ntdll.dll' a lot, with module path C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Any idea what might be causing that?

I will try rolling back to a system restore point made on 1st february next as I've tried updating drivers already.

Last edited:

sillysoraya

Reputable
May 17, 2020
Rolling back to 1st February seems to have worked, but I'm confused how it happened anyway or what I might have done to have that happen 😕

My PSU is pretty old admittedly, from 2012. NRP-VC503 Switching Power Supply, model: SL-8500BTX voltage 115v/230v, freq. 60hz/50hz, current 10a/6a.

I was considering upgrading that recently as I've upgraded many others areas of the PC since it's original build (graphics card, hard drives, RAM), just never properly looked into how to go about it/what to buy. Not sure if that would be the problem for this specific problem though.

I believe it had nothing to do with PSU or NVIDIA drivers. Windows Explorer crash on particular file type almost always is caused by crashed routine (in other DLL or EXE file) who gather information about file and return it to Explorer. Sometimes these DLLs are buggy themselves. Sometimes they refer to other DLLs which are buggy or are absent in system (that is about why some software require to install all those hideous VC++ redistributables and similar libraries together with them). Sometimes malware pretend to be real thing only to infect files on which you pointing with a mouse. Because it often doesn't return file information in proper way, Explorer crash.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.