[SOLVED] Extending C Drive

Apr 2, 2022
Hi! I hope someone can guide me to a situation I have. I've got a 1TB SSD drive where the C Drive has my OS (W10 Pro) - D Drive has my Apps and the E Drive, my work files. I can't keep uninstalling and re-intalling W10 and Office 2016 because this will cause me issues on the license activation, even though I own genuine MS Office licenses and DVDs. What I am thinking of doing is to back up the E Drive > then delete it > merge it into the D Drive. I can re-create the E Drive afterwards. This link shows my drive from Disk Management. My question is this: if I carried out this process, would I be able to extend the C Drive partition from the free space in the D Drive, without having to re-install W10 and all my other apps?

Solution
Thanks. I have a tool called Paragon Hard Disk Manager that can resize the partition. That being said, when you "recovery environment", do you mean being in Safe Mode? That would be the only way I can use Paragon to resize. I am not that much of an expert to do this from the CMD line
No safe mode, just boot from the boot media they offer, you don't want to do this inside windows because windows locks down some files and since you want to move them this can create problems, if you boot from their media you go around this.
https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/141
Apr 2, 2022
The E partition is just data, no 'applications'?

Response: Yes. Files I use in my work.

So...
Merge the D and E, resulting in ~685GB in a single partition.
Then what?

Response: this is what I want to be clear. Once I save all my E drive files, I want to delete it and extend the D partition where I have all my apps (Office, Adobe PDF etc, which are licensed).

What are the other drives in this system?

Response: C Drive is where the OS (W10 pro) is installed on plus where I install drivers and the printer.

Apr 2, 2022
The E partition is just data, no 'applications'?

So...
Merge the D and E, resulting in ~685GB in a single partition.
Then what?

What are the other drives in this system?

Response: Resource: 1 x SSD drive partitioned in 3: C for the OS; D for the Apps; E for files. Objective: extend the C drive partition without reformatting the drive. To check: will deletitng the E drive and merging it with the D drive allow Disk Management to extend the volume of the C Drive. I miscalculated by 100GB. My apps only need 80GB for me to do my job on this machine. Hope it's a little clearer. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Response: Resource: 1 x SSD drive partitioned in 3: C for the OS; D for the Apps; E for files. Objective: extend the C drive partition without reformatting the drive. To check: will deletitng the E drive and merging it with the D drive allow Disk Management to extend the volume of the C Drive. I miscalculated by 100GB. My apps only need 80GB for me to do my job on this machine. Hope it's a little clearer. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.
Merge the D and E, then Extend the C to.....what space?

What is in the D and E?

My question is this: if I carried out this process, would I be able to extend the C Drive partition from the free space in the D Drive, without having to re-install W10 and all my other apps?
To answer this part specifically, yes, but not while you're booted in Windows. You can use a third party tool to do this (it'll restart the computer and resize the partition) or you can go into a recovery environment and use the command line to do this.

Apr 2, 2022
To answer this part specifically, yes, but not while you're booted in Windows. You can use a third party tool to do this (it'll restart the computer and resize the partition) or you can go into a recovery environment and use the command line to do this.
Thanks. I have a tool called Paragon Hard Disk Manager that can resize the partition. That being said, when you "recovery environment", do you mean being in Safe Mode? That would be the only way I can use Paragon to resize. I am not that much of an expert to do this from the CMD line

The problem is that you can only extend a partition if there is free space right next to it, literary directly on the right of the partition.
Deleting E will only allow you to extend D (or merge it)
You would have to move the whole of the D (and E) partition to the end of the drive to even have a chance to extend C, that's what the stand alone partition tools do that offer this, this takes many hours and since it's shifting around all your data there is always a small risk of loosing something if something should happen.

No safe mode, just boot from the boot media they offer, you don't want to do this inside windows because windows locks down some files and since you want to move them this can create problems, if you boot from their media you go around this.

Solution
Apr 2, 2022