External Case Fan Survey

crazyguy_60

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I am designing a new product for my GCSE Design Technology product.
It will be an external case fan that is mounted at the back of the case.
I want to find out how much you would pay for a product such as this.
The product will most probably attach onto an 80mm fan bay.
It will push hot air from the back of the case upwards and away from the rear of the case.

I would not purchase it because modern pc cases typically come with a 120mm case fan installed at the top of the rear case panel. In addition, many high end cases come with one or more 120mm or larger case fans installed in the top panel.

No, it doesn't. Warm air will rise by itself because it is lighter than the cooler air. You are looking at a nonexistent problem.

On the other hand, if it is a school project and the teacher approves it, go for it.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
You should read about heat transfer, specifically the zeroth law of thermodynamics and the second law.

There is absolutely no reason to buy what you're designing if you have case fans.

Like the other responders, I'm totally missing the point of this. Are you saying that this mounts on the outside of the case co-axially with the fan inside the case? If so, then what on earth would this do that the existing fan wouldn't?

When the computer is mounted in a desk, there may be well be a dead spot of stagnant air somewhere around the case, but it's irrelevant as long as the interior case fans are drawing fresh, cool air in from the front of the case. The air being forced out the back of the case has to go somewhere...

On the other hand, if you mount the computer in a desk which has a door to hide the computer, then the warn air expelled out the back of the case will probably recirculate back to the front of the case and end up being sucked back into the case again. That's a problem. But no amount of fans will solve that problem - what you need is a way to introduce fresh air into the compartment holding the computer and ensure it gets drawn into the case.

Tor___

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Im looking for an external fan set up on the side of the case to cool gpu video cards that cause the case not to close. Im not a believer in nonreference gpu coolers that just push hot air to the rest of the pc components. It reminds me of the downstream environmental theory. Just send th*()(*() downstream and let the neighbors deal with it. I just want to make a rectangular hole in my pc case and mount a small external 3 fan exhauster over the top of the gpu(s)