Question External GPU 3D rendering for PC

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
I'm thinking to invest in few GPU cards for rendering 3D and instead of adding them to my main workstation I thought to create an external computer with rendering as the main purpose. Mainly to be able to work and render at the same time. I would be happy to not have extra screens and operating systems on the external machine. Are there any simple solutions for the PC environment or do I need to get another computer as a render farm?

Lutfij

Titan
Vaguely off the information you've given, essentially, yes, you're going to have to make a rendering farm. Might I ask what sort of rendering work you do and what sort of system's you tax them with said renders?

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
As I mentioned my initial posting, I do 3D rendering and right now spec is not important as a what solutions are out there for GPU render farm. I guess more is better, right?

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by 'external computer,' but yes, an eGPU should take much of the load off your workstation. The fact is, there's not much point in using such a setup with a desktop, unless you physically can't fit a GPU inside the case. You would also need something like a Thunderbolt 3 card and at least a PCI-e x4 slot (something found mainly on server-class motherboards).