blackpearljack

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
I found an old 2TB Hitachi External Hard Disk. It needs power from an external source to work. The 12V, 1.25A power input that came with it is not working. So, I connected another power input which is rated 7.5V, 0.35 A. It is getting connected to the pc(Logo lights up when I connect both power adapter and USB). But it is not being recognized by the PC as a Hard Disk. I can hear that the hard disk starts spinning and then it immediately stops. The logo blinks for few milliseconds and the same thing(hard disk trying to spin but failing) repeats. So, is that any issue with the Hard Disk or is it not working because of the power supply(maybe insufficient power)? It is not a windows issue, I have tried it on Linux as well. The same result on both of them. I have also tried using other USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0). But the same thing is happening on either of them.

Sorry for my bad English.

Solution
I found an old 2TB Hitachi External Hard Disk. It needs power from an external source to work. The 12V, 1.25A power input that came with it is not working. So, I connected another power input which is rated 7.5V, 0.35 A. It is getting connected to the pc(Logo lights up when I connect both power adapter and USB). But it is not being recognized by the PC as a Hard Disk. I can hear that the hard disk starts spinning and then it immediately stops. The logo blinks for few milliseconds and the same thing(hard disk trying to spin but failing) repeats. So, is that any issue with the Hard Disk or is it not working because of the power supply(maybe insufficient power)? It is not a windows issue, I have tried it on Linux as well. The same...
You can't use any power supply that comes to hand and expect the drive to work.

Replacement power supply must have same power specs as the original, including the centre-pin polarity.

Be aware that even with a correct and working power supply connected to it, the drive may still be faulty if it's old or it's been knocked about.

Bassplate

Reputable
I found an old 2TB Hitachi External Hard Disk. It needs power from an external source to work. The 12V, 1.25A power input that came with it is not working. So, I connected another power input which is rated 7.5V, 0.35 A. It is getting connected to the pc(Logo lights up when I connect both power adapter and USB). But it is not being recognized by the PC as a Hard Disk. I can hear that the hard disk starts spinning and then it immediately stops. The logo blinks for few milliseconds and the same thing(hard disk trying to spin but failing) repeats. So, is that any issue with the Hard Disk or is it not working because of the power supply(maybe insufficient power)? It is not a windows issue, I have tried it on Linux as well. The same result on both of them. I have also tried using other USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0). But the same thing is happening on either of them.

Sorry for my bad English.
Every External or Internal Drive needs it's Full voltage and Amps...Maybe its original Power input is broken or not working.
You can try buying a 12V 2.0A Power Input.Its okay if you go a bit over with the Amps like (Its recommended Amps is 1.25 and you can look for 1.50...2.00....2.25)IF you can check the power outage on the original power input and test it with an electrical tester and see if you test 12V.

Solution

blackpearljack

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
You can't use any power supply that comes to hand and expect the drive to work.

Replacement power supply must have same power specs as the original, including the centre-pin polarity.

Be aware that even with a correct and working power supply connected to it, the drive may still be faulty if it's old or it's been knocked about.
How can I find out about the centre pin polarity? I am not able to find it on the charger.

blackpearljack

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Every External or Internal Drive needs it's Full voltage and Amps...Maybe its original Power input is broken or not working.
You can try buying a 12V 2.0A Power Input.Its okay if you go a bit over with the Amps like (Its recommended Amps is 1.25 and you can look for 1.50...2.00....2.25)IF you can check the power outage on the original power input and test it with an electrical tester and see if you test 12V.
Yeah I guess the original one is not working. I'll try to purchase one with same Voltage and current around around 2 A. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: Bassplate