Question External Hard Drive causes Programs Accessing it to Temporarily "Not Responding" while it starts up?

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
So I purchased a 6TB External Hard Drive not too long ago, works great, 120MBps Read, 160MBps Write, good SMART, no errors, etc, however one issue I've noticed is that, despite me disabling it within Windows and searching for a solution to no avail, it occasionally shuts its self off after (extremely rough guess) around 30 minutes of inactivity. On it's own it isn't a big issue but if I say try to download a game update from Steam, access the drive through File Explorer, or even simply move a Desktop file around the program (Steam/Explorer) freezes for a good 10-20 or so seconds.

I was wondering if anyone knew what could possibly be the cause of this and if there are any solutions. I'm not against shucking my drive but sadly my case is already extremely cramped around that area and that would require me to run a 2nd SATA and power cable so I'd really rather not.

WD 6TB Mybook, "Turn off hard disk after: Never", "USB selective suspend setting: Disabled", Device Manager>USB Mass Storage Device> Power Management "[ ] Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and is used for game storage and some backups.

Last edited:
So I purchased a 6TB External Hard Drive not too long ago, works great, 120MBps Read, 160MBps Write, good SMART, no errors, etc, however one issue I've noticed is that, despite me disabling it within Windows and searching for a solution to no avail, it occasionally shuts its self off after (extremely rough guess) around 30 minutes of inactivity. On it's own it isn't a big issue but if I say try to download a game update from Steam, access the drive through File Explorer, or even simply move a Desktop file around the program (Steam/Explorer) freezes for a good 10-20 or so seconds.

I was wondering if anyone knew what could possibly be the cause of this and if there are any solutions. I'm not against shucking my drive but sadly my case is already extremely cramped around that area and that would require me to run a 2nd SATA and power cable so I'd really rather not.

WD 6TB Mybook, "Turn off hard disk after: Never", "USB selective suspend setting: Disabled", and is used for game storage and some backups.
Device manager>usb controllers..... check the power management for each entry.