[SOLVED] External hard drive for moving files and storage, SSD or HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
So I'm planning to move some big folders from an old computer over to a new one. Mostly video and audio files + project folders and some documents and so on. As an example one folder is 146 GB.

For the task I plan to get an external hard drive, and I figured that I could use it to store the project folders as well after. Since they have sentimental value. I'd like to run my line of thinking here just to make sure that I'm not missing anything. Since I'm not that used to storing data. And figured it would be a good learning opportunity.

Now I know that an SSD would probably be the most beneficial in terms of speed. But based on the size of some folders I dont think the size I could afford would be ideal. Basically a 500 GB SSD costs almost the same as a 4TB HDD.

I cant really see myself using the external hard drive a lot either. Which I believe would push me more towards an HDD. Since from what I have understood SSD's aren't ideal for "cold storage". If I use the term correctly. And of course in the event that the drive would fail, I'd have a better chance at recovering the files from a HDD.

The project folders themselves would still have an active copy on the new computer's SSD, and I could also store it on an internal HDD that I'm planning to add to the computer as well. And the finished version of the projects (which is a video file) is already on YouTube and on Google Drive. So that is another backup right there.

Would it then really make any sense for me to consider an SSD over an HDD? And should I consider a Seagate og are WD one? Since I've been looking at the WD My Passport V3 USB 3.0 4TB or the Seagate Expansion Portable Drive 4TB.

I realise that no hard drive is completly safe as a backup option. So I'm also considering making a backup of the project files on a DVD as well.

Solution
Why not just move this data over the LAN?

Both PCs on, connected to the same router or switch.
Shared folder...done.

But, to your question, either would work.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Why not just move this data over the LAN?

Both PCs on, connected to the same router or switch.
Shared folder...done.

But, to your question, either would work.

And that answer shows how little experience I have with moving files. Since it did not cross my mind. A simple straight to the point solution. Might still get an external HDD as a failsafe storage solution. But no need to be in a hurry then. Thank you very much! 🙂

USAFRet

Titan
And that answer shows how little experience I have with moving files. Since it did not cross my mind. A simple straight to the point solution. Might still get an external HDD as a failsafe storage solution. But no need to be in a hurry then. Thank you very much! 🙂
If you need any assistance with the networking, just sing out.

And backups are a berry berry good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.