External Hard Drive Issues with Xbox One??

The Poop Nuke

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I recently received a 4tb External Hard Drive. It is a western digital My Book. As soon as I got it, I hooked it up to my Xbox One because I was low on space. I was expecting to have a partitions option while formatting it. To my surprise, it didn't. After I formatted it, I did some research only to find that partitioning is not on option on my Xbox One. This didn't bother me much because I was just going to use it on my computer instead. I plugged it into my computer to format it and I found that it was not detecting it as an Disk Drive and the only place I could find it was in Devices and Printers. I just need to format it so it will be usable with my PC. Any Ideas?

Solution
Hey The Poop Nuke. Sorry to hear you're having such issues with your drive. So you can't see it in Disk Management as well? I'd suggest that you connect it to another computer to see if the same thing happens again and if not - reformat it via Disk Management. Another thing which you could try is to uninstall it from Device Manager and connect it again so that Windows installs the drivers again.
If non of this work, try the third method from this thread here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/external-hdd-visible-in-devices-and-printers-but/4e550174-511c-46ab-be55-6cfb0ce54e63

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey The Poop Nuke. Sorry to hear you're having such issues with your drive. So you can't see it in Disk Management as well? I'd suggest that you connect it to another computer to see if the same thing happens again and if not - reformat it via Disk Management. Another thing which you could try is to uninstall it from Device Manager and connect it again so that Windows installs the drivers again.
If non of this work, try the third method from this thread here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/external-hdd-visible-in-devices-and-printers-but/4e550174-511c-46ab-be55-6cfb0ce54e63

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

lighten2306

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I'm experiencing the same problem. I didn't realize that after formatting my hard drive to my Xbox One it was going to ruin my hard drive. I just want it back to normal, and I've tried everything. I have a 2TB WD Elements External Hard Drive. I have done everything imaginable in Device Management on my computer. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, disabled, everything. I cannot get it to reformat itself back to my computer. Someone please help. I just pretty much wasted 80$ and would like to be able to use it.

Hi, lighten2306.
You've mentioned Device Management, but did you mean Device Manager, because it sounds like it, judging by the things you've tried? I'd suggest that you try going to Disk Management and reformat the drive from there if you haven't tried this already. Here's how to do that: How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX. You'll just have to right click on the drive's partition and select "Delete Volume", after that follow the instructions from the link to reformat the drive.

After you've completed the process, you should be able to access it on your computer.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

FenixFurioso

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Fraser_1. hey pal I have the exact same issue. I recently bought a Seagate 2tb external hard drive. as soon as I get to the name the drive it just starts buffering/loading. nothing happens and ive waited like an hour plus. did you eventually find a solution? any help would be gratefully appreciated

Fraser_1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015

no i havnt its annoying so muchipaid £43 for it

Fraser_1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015

yes i do

FenixFurioso

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
yeah so do I, everyone I know that has an external hard drive formatted it before the dashboard update without issue. im trying to see if there is a way to revert back to the old dashboard and try it then

FenixFurioso

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_access/update_preview/update_preview_forums/nxoe_1509/f/5545/p/2057221/5449386.aspx#5449386

so with some digging I've so far found that our only real fix is to factory reset to get the original dashboard. you lose everything though and with a hard drive to back it up you're screwed really. only other option I see is getting a friend without the new dashboard to format it for you and seeing if that works. pain in the ass but until they fix the new dash we're bollock deep in 500gb

Mrpig13

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I ran into this problem today when switching to a 2TB drive from a 1TB drive. I wanted to use the 1TB drive as backup for my PC again. Disk Management would not recognize the 1TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive. Neither would SeaTools. Not having another PC to try, I plugged the 1TB drive into my Xbox 360 and it was able to format the drive without issue. If you don't have a second PC, or a 360, maybe a PS3, PS4 or Wii-U might work as well.

Luke_11

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!
Hi, i had the exact same problem with my expensive seagat seven hard drive, but fixed it by following theses steps:
1. Go to disk management
2. Right click on unallocated disk (your hard drive you want to fix)
3. Click on new patition
4. then follow the steps on screen

here is a video of the exact steps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXJsAR5qsVo

Hope it helps

DoubleARonM

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

So I've been struggling with this for a few hours, and somebody passively mentioned the solution as I was digging through comments.

Problem: Formatted my 500 GB external hard drive through the Xbox One interface for storing games on my Xbox One and wanted to reformat it to use it for my PC. PC wouldn't recognize it as a drive and gave no reformatting options, no matter what I tried.

Solution: Plug the HD into an Xbox 360, and format it through the "Storage Devices" menu. It's backwards and inconvenient, but I plugged it back into the computer and it immediately worked.

B3ATDROP3R

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

problem started after format with xbox one... have a western digital passport after 5 minutes i went to devices and printers and there it was my passport 0837 troubleshoot it it will ask to install a driver click apply fix... bam fixed!!!!!1 os windows 7 sp1 *you can edit xbox one files now*

abice

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

I have a 4TB WD My Book, I cannot see this on the Xbox one and I cannot see this disk on my computer, the only place that I can get anything to show up is under the device manager, it says drivers are up to date and working normally. Under disk management I cannot see this hard drive. When I access the WD utilities, it says that the smart status has failed and it if I try to erase the drive it says that the WD External format has failed.

Edgarcalifornia

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I fixed this issue with a neat little program called "Xbox one External Storage Converter v 1.1" The turorial here: http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-one-guides/13584-copy-extract-content-xbox-one-usb-formatted-drive-windows-pc.html

My problem is a little different.: My HDD was not recognized neither in windows nor the xbox one. I then used the program I mention above, connected it back to the xone and it asked me to format it again. My problem is that I lost all the games I had on it.
Is there any way I can download and install them again?
Thanks.

ltdan1776

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

I searched high and low for HOURS to figure out a solution to this exact problem. Out of all the obscure advice people gave, none of which worked, I wasn't expecting your idea of formatting the drive in my Xbox 360 to be the solution. BUT IT WAS! I still can't believe that with all the advanced tools out there for problems like this that the one thing that works is so simple... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Pichizzle

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Fox-Hound

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Thanks Luke_11

This method worked for me!