Question External hard drive not showing up in file manger

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
I have been using my Toshiba Convio basic 500Gb external hard drive for a couple of years now and it used to not show up on my laptop, but i manged to solve that by reconnecting the hard drive and some times just moving the usb would do the trick, but this time it won't show up no matter what i do. It shows up on disk manger but it says it's unallocated.

I have found solutions online by assigning a letter to the hard drive but that would erase all the data on it so, I tried minitool to try and recover the unallocated partition and savebthe sata on it but it won't detect it and only shows the 128Mb hidden partition.

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
It scans the drive for any lost or deleted partitions and tries to recover them, the problem that I noticed is that the software only recognizes a 128Mb partition and scans it although at the scan option it shows that there is 465Gb of unallocated storage.

After 4 hours or so it says that the search is completed but it couldn't find any lost partitions and only shows 128Mb of searchable storage that doesn't have anything on it.
View: https://imgur.com/a/3EzWhyG

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
If you used Quick Scan option, then try Full Scan option instead.
I tried the full scan and it gives the same result.
It should show the files on the unallocated 465gb and after that it recovers the partition but it only shows an empty 128mb section that doesn't even have a name.
I also tried the data recovery wizard and it couldn't find any files on the hard drive.

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016