Question External Hard Drive Not Working After Laptop Shutdown

Jul 3, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have an external hard drive that is no longer working ever since my laptop went to sleep as it ran out of battery. First it would give me the error "A device which does not exist was specified". But now I am able to access the drive, albeit incredibly slowly. It doesn't pop up automatically when plugged in, and causes windows explorer to hang randomly, and I am unable to launch Disk Management or other similar software to try and diagnose the problem, as the softwares do not load while I have the hard drive plugged in. A similar problem also happens when I tried inserting a different external hard drive. Might anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

popatim

Titan
I wonder if the 5v circuit that powers USB has been damaged or the breaker tripped (not all PC's use breakers)

First make sure the USB ports aren't flagged in device manager as having an issue.

Then you can try shutting down the laptop, removing the charging cord & battery, and then holding down the power button for a full minute. Reassemble it and then try the externals.

Jul 3, 2020
In device manager, sometimes they are undetected, and sometimes they are flagged as having a problem and not recognised. But it does work occasionally if I re-plug it several times, but it is still very slow and laggy. I don't have any issues with other USB devices like my mouse and changing ports doesn't work for my external hard drive too.