External Hard Drive

I have a 700XL and want an external hard drive to use for system backups and
long-term storage for thousands of digital images.

I bought a Maxtor 250 GIG 7200 RPM, but it was so hot to the touch that I
returned it. The store took it back, but said that all the 7200 RPM drives
run very hot.

True?
Any recommendations?

Thanks, Allen--
C and A Bredt

False - in fact that source of the heat was probably a cheap switching power
supply, if it was an internal unit.

Look for a drive with an external power supply - or build one yourself using
an enclosure and a drive - if you're willing to play the rebate game, you
can now find 160-200G drives for as little as $50-70 after rebate - add the
cost of a decent enclosure ($30-50) and you have an economical backup
solution.

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a 700XL and want an external hard drive to use for system backups
and
> long-term storage for thousands of digital images.
>
> I bought a Maxtor 250 GIG 7200 RPM, but it was so hot to the touch that I
> returned it. The store took it back, but said that all the 7200 RPM drives
> run very hot.
>
> True?
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks, Allen--
> C and A Bredt

I have an 80 gig Western Digital external drive, it barely get warm.

Black

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003

I have an external Maxtor drive on a 700XL. It is just slightly warm -
definitely not hot. I also have a second external HD. It is a Western
Digital and is even cooler. If an external HD is what you want, don't give
up just because you happened to get one that may have been out of spec.

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 700XL and want an external hard drive to use for system backups
>and
> long-term storage for thousands of digital images.
>
> I bought a Maxtor 250 GIG 7200 RPM, but it was so hot to the touch that I
> returned it. The store took it back, but said that all the 7200 RPM drives
> run very hot.
>
> True?
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks, Allen--
> C and A Bredt

I think mine may have been defective. It was so hot that I would not have
placed it in contact with paper or fabric.
I looked for Western Digital drives and they say "heat-dissipating case"

Thanks for all the replies
--
C and A Bredt
"Black" <rclad2000REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an external Maxtor drive on a 700XL. It is just slightly warm -
> definitely not hot. I also have a second external HD. It is a Western
> Digital and is even cooler. If an external HD is what you want, don't
give
> up just because you happened to get one that may have been out of spec.
>
> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 700XL and want an external hard drive to use for system backups
> >and
> > long-term storage for thousands of digital images.
> >
> > I bought a Maxtor 250 GIG 7200 RPM, but it was so hot to the touch that
> > returned it. The store took it back, but said that all the 7200 RPM
drives
> > run very hot.
> >
> > True?
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks, Allen--
> > C and A Bredt

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<43Ced.26400$jo2.15618@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> I have a 700XL and want an external hard drive to use for system backups and
> long-term storage for thousands of digital images.
>
> I bought a Maxtor 250 GIG 7200 RPM, but it was so hot to the touch that I
> returned it. The store took it back, but said that all the 7200 RPM drives
> run very hot.
>
> True?
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks, Allen--
> C and A Bredt

True partly. But the air circulation in this hard drive is not good.
You can get a cheaper and bigger hard drive and mount it in an
external enclosure to build your own cheap external hard drive. That's
what everyone is doing these days.

For external enclosure, check out

http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

Hope this helps!