Dec 9, 2018
Okay so When I connect my Hardisk , For the first 10-20 seconds I'm able to view the files inside, After few seconds it completely freezes , Infinite Not responding , Cannot view files/View properties All system operations are stuck untill I pull out the usb cable from my laptop . If I try opening task manager (while system is on freeze) it does not open, I could not eject the Hardisk from Laptop , No application can be opened during this time , when I manually disconnect it all system or apps pop up suddenly, Meaning the Hardisk makes my entire pc stuck .. When I run chkdsk on CMD it's also stuck , Resumes only after I disconnect the Hardisk .. IF I plug in again IT works for few seconds and again FREEZES I do not want to lose data ( it's still Under warranty: Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB HDD, Their Recovery cost hundreds of dollars, Can't afford that high) I've tried it on different pc and cables .. This problem occurred all of a sudden .. I just need few important files from that hardrive , Is there a way I can recover/fix it ?? Thank you !

I would contact Seagate and see what they can do.

Your other option if you dont want to pay for file recovery ( if seagate doesnt help) would be to open the drive yourself and hope it just a SATA drive hooked to a small USB adapter card.

But if your drive looks like the drive on the left in the picture then its something in the drive that is failing. If its like the drive on the right then you can plug it directly into a computer and hope you can get the info off the drive. Lets hope its the second option and its just a bad usb card adapter.
ifsmfnI.png

Reactions: sridar50
Dec 9, 2018
Just opened it and it's sealed with a cover and says it would void my warranty if I open , I guess I'll ask Seagate then .. Last time I asked they just told me I need to do the recovery with them or any other service centre and should get a replacement

the difference between all 3 drives is how they connect.

All 3 drives are 2.5 inch drives, came from external enclosures, and Western Digital.
the right drive has a standard SATA connector
the middle drive uses a micro b usb connector
and the left drive uses a weird combo micro a and b connection combined in one plug.

Back in 2011 when HDD factories flooded in Thailand, internal computer HDD prices sky rocketed, while external usb drives stayed the same price. People start figuring out that you could rip the case off an external drive and it was just a standard SATA drive inside making a getting an internal drive cheaper then buying a standard drive. That's about the time i started noticing WD switching their external drive to these on PCB micro usb/ combo plugs so you couldnt plug them in internally anymore.

The first image of the round silver part is just the outer case of the harddrive and where it was milled flat, those are the tool marks as it cuts the metal.

The second and third image of the small PCB board at the end of the harddrive you should be able to pull off leaving you a standard SATA drive that you can plug in internally to a computer.

Hopefully its just the small usb to sata PCB board that went bad and you'll be able to get all your information off the drive once its plugged in internally to a computer.

TRENDING THREADS