Question external hd with backup software on it overrides my bios boot priority, reset, but now internal hd can't find Windows 10?

Jun 13, 2019
Hi. I used an external hd with aggressive backup software on it and it overrides my bios boot priority. I've reset bios order but now my internal hd can't find Windows 10, i guess?
First off, thanks for your time. Secondly, I'm a newb to this, but I understand the basics, can use the internet, and sometimes competent...so I'm halfway home.

The detailed story goes like this... I shutdown with a external hd plugged in and I'm not sure if it corrupted Windows since bios/boot now can't recognize Win10 OS or if my new ssd internal hd which was fine is dead? The only difference is i left the ext hd plugged in this time when i shutdown...and both were previously working fine for months. Help! The ext hd basically set itself to first boot priority, which i figured out how to reset, and now Win10 is MIA, i think? I assume that it is the "NTI Backup Now EZ" software trying to help data loss, but is actually helping me potentially lose my more recent data... When the external hd boots, the last backup is 2017 so that's not super helpful for past 2 years (crap maintenance on my part...I thought i backed up in the last few months, but i must have imagined that).

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm hoping that there's some bios setting in MSI motherboard to let me get my recent internal hd data back? But, without windows...
Any ideas? Anything short of wiping both hd by getting another computer and a sata/usb cable to try to get my recent internal hd data, then my older ext hd data, then wipe them both (remove this auto NTI Backup Now EZ.exe bs), then re-download Win10 (i still have the key) and finally reload my data back onto my internal hd (assuming it's ok)...any potential failure modes here?

ext hd - Toshiba P/N HDTCXK3A1
int hd - Samsung SSD EVO
mb - MSI 970A gaming pro carbon
AMD FX(tm)-6300 6 core
Anything else just ask.
Thanks!