[SOLVED] External HDDs corrupted after Windows 10 update ?

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
I have 2 x 5T HDDs as external drives and running in a 2-bay dock. Everything has been working fine until Windows 10 update today. Now I cannot access either drive, instead getting an error msg. saying the drive is corrupt or one saying the files are of an unknown file type. I have another external dock and the HDD in that still works fine.
I have swapped components between computers and have swapped one corrupt drive to the good dock to see if my problem was the dock or the drive...it is definitely the drive. I have tried reading other strings threads but I'm not techie enough to follow them. Is there any way to salvage these drives?

Solution
Well, finally I have the status of things on my end. I have the problem drives back in hand. A well-meaning friend wanted to try his hand at resolving my dilemma. The results were mixed...he managed to recover most of the files, reformat the RAW disks, and reload the repaired files. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of data, but I managed to save a lot, too. And has become evident to me that all this chaos was own doing...lesson learned.

I want to thank you so much for all the time and patience you have shown me. I am so grateful.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for your reply, lvt. I don't know what a SATA cable is or how I would connect the HDD to the computer directly. Sorry. So, to answer your question, no I haven't.

Thanks for your reply, lvt. I don't know what a SATA cable is or how I would connect the HDD to the computer directly. Sorry. So, to answer your question, no I haven't.

The cable looks like this, it's a data cable, if you open the computer case, there already are power cables for the HDDs and each motherboard generally has 4 SATA ports. You can connect the HDDs directly to the motherboard using this cable.

86ff3d66584b0f1b0f19f07de1e6cdfd.jpg_720x720q80.jpg

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Well, finally I have the status of things on my end. I have the problem drives back in hand. A well-meaning friend wanted to try his hand at resolving my dilemma. The results were mixed...he managed to recover most of the files, reformat the RAW disks, and reload the repaired files. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of data, but I managed to save a lot, too. And has become evident to me that all this chaos was own doing...lesson learned.

I want to thank you so much for all the time and patience you have shown me. I am so grateful.

Solution