[SOLVED] External SSD suddenly reduced in size.

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Hi guys, my SanDisk 250 GB Extreme 500 external SSD storage decreased in size. Now it have the capacity od 31.9 GB?! I've tried to format it, nothing happens. Tried to format it with command prompt, I get the message

Disk 3 is now the selected disk.
DISKPART> clean
DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Does anyone have the solution how to get my gigabytes back? :(

Solution
It may be corrupted and/or incompatible partition table. If you can use linux (live mode is enought) you could run
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/devicetoerase bs=1M count=1
to erase the partition table completely then use gparted to create new partition table and partition. You can get /dev/devicetoerase from gparted device list (it propably is in /dev/sdX format). This command writes 1 megabytes of zeroes over the beginning of the drive, where the partition table is.

If you cant do that is the drive still working with only 32gb of storage and can you post more detailed information about the drive health. SMART data would be useful.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Hi guys, my SanDisk 250 GB Extreme 500 external SSD storage decreased in size. Now it have the capacity od 31.9 GB?! I've tried to format it, nothing happens. Tried to format it with command prompt, I get the message

Disk 3 is now the selected disk.
DISKPART> clean
DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Does anyone have the solution how to get my gigabytes back? :(
Hi,
Assuming you have a backup of your important data, why not try to format the disk using the SanDisk SSD dashboard?

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Boot up the normal OS
Then connect this drive
commandline diskpart and clean should work

Ive tried to use CMD and DISKPART, no go, also tried to make a SIMPLE NEW VOLUME with DISK MANAGEMENT, I just get the message CYCLIC REDUNDANCY ERROR. I will try your method after restart. Thanks.

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
No sanitize option, erase is working but still I cannot access it at all, and drive health option says WARNING and to consider replacing it! Its good that this time I haven't lost my files from this crap.

Jul 28, 2020
It may be corrupted and/or incompatible partition table. If you can use linux (live mode is enought) you could run
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/devicetoerase bs=1M count=1
to erase the partition table completely then use gparted to create new partition table and partition. You can get /dev/devicetoerase from gparted device list (it propably is in /dev/sdX format). This command writes 1 megabytes of zeroes over the beginning of the drive, where the partition table is.

If you cant do that is the drive still working with only 32gb of storage and can you post more detailed information about the drive health. SMART data would be useful.

Solution