Question External USB Hard Drive is inaccessible

Oct 2, 2020
Hello,

System: Lenovo Yoga 920 laptop, Windows 10 Home
External USB Hard Drive: Seagate Backup Plus, 5TB

I have a mysterious USB hard drive problem. I was playing music on my music app. The music files are on an external USB drive X:. Suddenly the music stopped playing. After a couple of hours trying to resolve this I have gotten various error messages shown below.
  • Rebooted computer. Every time I tried to access the X: drive the File Explorer would lock up
  • USB Safe Removal shows hard drive, sometimes. Sometimes it shows the full name and sometimes it shows generic name (BUP BK)
  • Disk Management shows X: drive with NTFS format
  • CHKDSK fails to run and error message says "CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives"
  • Error message: X: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.
  • Event Viewer contains System error "NTFS: The default transaction resource manager on volume X: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.
  • Tried moving hard drive to another computer. It shows up in File Explorer but when a folder is selected it cannot display and locks up.
  • Tried again and Disk Management shows X: drive with RAW format now. "Healthy (Basic Data Partition)"

I would appreciate ideas for how to fix this problem. I get the impression the data is fine but something is wrong or corrupted that doesn't allow access to the drive.
Thanks,
Dave

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Is the drive still in the warranty period?
If not, it's most likely that the drive itself is still OK; it's just the case/lead that's faulty. You can remove the drive from the case and plug it straight into a PC to check if it's OK.

Oct 2, 2020
I'm having my BackBlaze backup sent to me on a hard drive that I can return for a refund. I've lost confidence in this hard drive and will replace it. Thank you so much for your help.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
s the drive still in the warranty period?
If not, it's most likely that the drive itself is still OK; it's just the case/lead that's faulty. You can remove the drive from the case and plug it straight into a PC to check if it's OK.